Chief Window thickness

Post-War Aeronca Chief airplanes
MikeB

Chief Window thickness

Post by MikeB »

I'm in the process of fitting the rear windows on my Chief project and noticed a couple of things (1) the rear plexiglass measures about .125 and (2) it's hard to get a nice fit with the 'glass' that thick as it leaves a gap between the outside window retainers and the window frame. I replaced both wooden window frames with new from Wag Aero and they do have a small groove cut into the wood but doesn't appear to be enough to do the trick. I'm wondering if the original plexiglass wasn't probably .080 like the sliding door windows. I haven't seen anything in the book about window thickness but if I remember correctly the Champ side glass was around .080.
Had I thought about it ahead of time I would have milled the wooden window groove down and fit new glass but.....live and learn :? .
Any ideas???
Thanks
Mike
clipperfixer

Re: Chief Window thickness

Post by clipperfixer »

I just checked the blueprints for you. The rear windows are .060" thick. Make new ones? the print number is 4-594
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Thanks for the quick response. I figured there had to be something different. For one thing, the window retainers are flat and not formed like on the Champs so it's even more critical to have a good fit. As this is my first Chief I'm still on a ''learning curve'. I'll probably trace them out and make new ones. I loaned my CD's out to another party so I'm dancing in the dark right now.
Mike
clipperfixer

Post by clipperfixer »

I found your email and sent it to you.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Thanks Ray. ....got it.
Mike
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Ok.....got the rear windows figured out. Now I'm into making a new boot cowl (much fun.... :? ) but I also need to rebuild the doors and make new sliding side windows which is not a problem but what kind of device do they use to open and close the window? Someone previously screwed a couple of pieces of wood to the Plexiglass on either end which I'm quite sure is not stock. Can anyone furnish a picture of the Chief sliding windows? I should have paid more attention when I was at Oshkosh but I must have been too busy looking at Champs :roll: .
Thanks, Mike
skyking3286

Post by skyking3286 »

Mike, I've got some photos of the sliding window on the post war Chief. I'll post them in the next couple of days.
Mark Peterson
Harvey Field, WA
A copy of my old Chief website is preserved here:

http://www.reocities.com/mrpeters.geo/index.html
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Thanks! The windows are on the back burner right now anyway.
Mike
skyking3286

Post by skyking3286 »

Still working on posting them on Flickr.... should be in the next two days if the schedule works out.
Mark Peterson
Harvey Field, WA

skyking3286

Post by skyking3286 »

https://www.flickr.com/photos/40419510@N05/

These are photos of my window installation.
The pink towel is there to keep the interior from fading and I also remember from Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy that you should
always bring a towel!

The windows are framed by metal channels, which ride in the fuzzy part of Velcro. The cotton combing, wetherstrip, is my reproduction
of the original piece I found on the plane. A cotton cord, with cotton canvas wrapped around it and then pressed into the vertical channel.
I would probably just keep it off the plane, since it scratched the window opening and closing it. I also need to wash the windows and I
got a little overspray on them when I tried to touch up the interior.
Interior tubing is Kyron DOVE GREY color, which is very very close to stock.
Door channel is difficult to find and is a pressed piece that is put into the frame. Interior door frame piece fits over it it to keep it in place.
Mark Peterson
Harvey Field, WA

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Thanks Mark! Answers a lot of questions. Mine were pretty crude with a half of broom stick (looked like) screwed to the window to open and close. Also, no outside window framing around the plexiglass they just ran in a channel. Hoping I can make or find some when I get to that point. Otherwise looks like everything else is "on track" (pun intended).

Mike
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Seems like I exhausted all the local spots for some kind of aluminum window framing to go around the plexiglass. Does anyone know of a source to locate something that might work? A bit difficult because of the rounded corners and also looking for some double channel material for the windows to slide in. I believe mine are about 1/16 inch thick. I guess if nothing else a single 'fuzzy' channel (like the old cars used to have) might work if I could come up with some framing material.
Thanks
Mike

Edit: Under further review and after a 'google search' it appears I might be able to come up with a useable channel (vintage auto type) to keep the cold Wisconsin chill out but I'm still going to have to come up with a outside bead or at least some kind of stiffening. One source mentioned a floor edging of some sort. Wish I was a better metal worker but I'll check it out. I can't imagine why the one of the original owners 'deep sixed' the original channel and edging.