11CC Chief

Post-War Aeronca Chief airplanes
Paul Agaliotis

Re: 11CC Chief

Post by Paul Agaliotis »

Don't confuse the Standard category Chief with the E-LSA or the S-LSA. The weights, empty and gross, can be changed via the STC process. The FAA has a memo stating they would not allow a reduction in certificated empty weight of a Standard category aircraft to meet LSA specifications.

Only the manufacturer of a LSA aircraft can approve,any and all,maintenance of the LSA aircraft. Once the LSA weight specification is exceeded it is no longer a qualifying LSA aircraft and cannot be returned to this category. This precludes the manufacturer from skirting the Part 23 regulations.
Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

At this point I'm going to pull the trigger on this one if I can get the present owner to get the state (Wisconsin) registration up to date. I'm looking at the paperwork and previous bills of sale and it shouldn't be a big problem (famous last words). Regarding the EW it is 1350# but hopefully by the time I have this thing wrapped up the third class medical requirement will be removed. Hopefully.....although I don't have any medical issues (at all) but at age 73 I'd rather not press it.

Anyway, the weather is still rotten up here, snow showers this afternoon and supposed to be a record low tonight :( .

Mike
joea
Site Admin

Post by joea »

Photos when you can! :)
Al Hatz

Post by Al Hatz »

At this point I'm going to pull the trigger on this one if I can get the present owner to get the state (Wisconsin) registration up to date. I'm looking at the paperwork and previous bills of sale and it shouldn't be a big problem (famous last words).
The state of Wisconsin is kind of funny, the Bureau of Aeronautics only cares about the registration and registration fees, the Dept. of Revenue is in charge of the sales tax. So I wouldn't worry about the state Mike, pay the registration and sales tax you owe. If they want to go after past owners that's their problem, but it's been my experience that they never bother. Just send them the copy of the bill of sale from the last seller to you.
It's the federal registration that the chain of ownership can get hair raising to figure out and may even require, how do I say this, some signature facsimiles. Or so I've heard.
When was the last time it was legal airworthiness wise? I'd be more concerned it has a permanent airworthiness certificate.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Al,
Guess everything is straightened out, paperworkwise and it has a certificate of airworthiness so it's a go at this point. I'm probably going to pick it up this weekend. At least this one is complete and I don't have to run around chasing parts and pieces.
I had my eye on another one more local but it was in a thousand pieces (disassembled for your inspection :roll: ) no data plate on the engine or air frame, etc. but decided to back off on it and look for something more complete as I wasn't sure what I might find missing once I started digging through the boxes.

Mike
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Picked the Chief up today. In the shop with the wings and tail feathers off and looking forward to seeing what gremlins are lurking under the fuselage fabric. I'd post pictures but can't seem to get them off Photobucket and the attachment function to this site seems to be full or I'm missing something.

Mike
Richard Murray

Post by Richard Murray »

Great news Mike. So looking forward to seeing the pictures when things get straightened out.

Richard
Richard
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Ok! Hit my (kinda) first snag! When I pulled the fabric on the tail feathers I found them pretty rusted and some pitting although I can't punch through the control tubing anywhere. No doubt since it apparently spent a lot of time on floats earlier in life. I wouldn't be opposed to buying new or good used except being a model CC Chief it has 'balanced controls surfaces' unlike either the Champ or the 11AC Chief. I'm wondering if the 7EC surfaces are the same and balanced like the CC Chief???

On the other hand, the airframe itself looks pretty good and will only take some light cleaning.

Mike
Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis »

Mike,
The EC stuff will fit, also real early Citabria tail will go on. My bald head is telling me 1965 and 1966.
The TC A-759 has some info on the tail installations as to what is supposed to be installed on the Citabrias, not so for the Chief. But, as you will find out the 11CC is a horse of a different color. Just remember that if there's no information on what's right, that same situation makes it hard to say it's wrong.
Paul
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

"Just remember that if there's no information on what's right, that same situation makes it hard to say it's wrong".
Paul,
Love that statement!! There isn't a 7EC around here that I know of but the thought that the tail section might be the same crossed my mind. At least it gives me something to look for. Think I have a line on some that might be in better shape than what I own right now if I can get him to let go of them.
Thanks for the reply
Mike
Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis »

Mike,
You can still get new parts but you're going to get greased buying them. They will show up from time to time on ebay. You might check with Ron Piercy ( rainbow ron) up in Moses Lake WA. He bought a bunch of stuff at Santa Paula when Screaming Eagle went out of business.
I have a set of Decathlon counter balanced elevators I'm tempted to use on a project if the CG works out.
Paul
EDGEFLY

Post by EDGEFLY »

Mike,

This may be a little early but, I'm wondering if you plan on a shoulder strap Assy for your Chief? I have gotten some good info on this sub forum (see postings) but have not yet identified an acceptable (to me) buckle assembly. I am thinking it should be a four way latch setup. Also, would like to come up with a more satisfying pass through (decorative-wise) finishing touch for the liner penetrations. Just something to think about while you are doing the woodwork.

Dale
Richard Murray

Post by Richard Murray »

I am looking for a copy of an 11CC air worthiness certificate as it was issued from the factory at the time of its original delivery.

I petitioned the local FSDO for consideration to include this model, the 11CC, on its approved list of certificated aircraft eligible to be operated as light sport aircraft when the air worthiness certificate is issued with only the utility category specified.. Today I received a phone call from the ASI I have been working with informing me of a denial based on how the original airworthiness certificate was issued. I have been able to convert the local ASI to supporting my argument and need to collect more data to advance the argument through another level of the bureaucracy.

All that has been written will not change. Everything that is will remain as it is. We don't want to resurrect the merits or lack thereof regarding light sport rules. The bottom line in this afternoon's conversation is the decision to my petition was arbitrary and therein lies my door.

I need to have an 11CC air worthiness certificate as it was issued when the aircraft was manufactured to support my argument. Any copies emailed to me would be greatly appreciated. Ideally there would exist no history of 337's modifying the basic design in any way which would result in a gross weight increase of the utility category above 1290 lbs.

Any help is appreciated. gmail address is murray45822
Richard
rkittine

Photos

Post by rkittine »

Looking forward to photos too.
Robert P. Kittine, Jr.WA2YDV
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C.
New York, New York 631-374-9652
rkittine@aol.com
Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis »

Richard,
I don't know if you will find one in Utility only. Most, are in both Standard and Utility catagories. Look at FAR 23.3 para. a&b it covers both catagories. Paragraph (e) allows an airworthiness certificate to be issued in both catagories.
Generally speeds and loading schedule dictate the Catagory you operate in. The Flight Manual should have these numbers.
I would operate it in the Utility Catagory at the lower weight and have a ball. If questioned, explain it with the information you have. Let them tell you what's wrong with this style of operation.
The mistake is asking for approval, they will not approve much unless iron-clad. These guys are looking to retire, not jepordizing it giving approvals. They are crystal clear on what it prohibited, but pretty vague on what is allowed. I believe by design, and that's OK by me.
Paul