Last try before I learn in a 172... Van Nuys CA Area?

addicted2climbing

Last try before I learn in a 172... Van Nuys CA Area?

Post by addicted2climbing »

Hello All,

I have been on this forum for about a month asking various questions and I am looking to start flying lessons. I still would love to learn in a Tailwheel if possible since my goal is to own an older TW plane one day. I live in Santa Clarita Ca and the airports closest to me are Van Nuys, Santa Paula & Whiteman. I have found instruction at a large school (sunrise aviation in Santa Ana) that does teach in a Cub or Citabria, but its 75 miles from my house and I would prefer to fly localy. If anyone knows of someone willign to train for the private pilot in a TW do let me know. Also interested in Light Sport as well. I have 50 hours or so in sailplanes so I think that I would do fine learning in a TW?

C'mon help a guy to learn in a TW and land on 16 Right....

Best regards,

Marc

WWhunter

Re: Last try before I learn in a 172... Van Nuys CA Area?

Post by WWhunter »

Hey, nothing wrong with a 172. I own a Champ and a 172. The 172 is definitely a much more versatile plane that is able to be flown in circumstances that I wouldn't even think of pulling the Champ out of the hangar.
A lot of the problem finding an instructor for TW flying is due to liability and insurance costs. That and there are not as many TW pilots out there...especially ones that instruct. I got my PPL in my 172 and then later got my TW endorsement. Granted it may be better in the long run to just start out in a TW but if you want to fly you have to use what is available.
On a side note....the operating costs are nearly identical for both my planes.
WW

SFC Hiatt

Post by SFC Hiatt »

addicted2climbing wrote: I live in Santa Clarita Ca and the airports closest to me are Van Nuys, Santa Paula & Whiteman. Marc
Therein lies your problem....move to the mid west and you couldn't throw a rock (far) without finding what you are looking for.

Chris

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea »

Or drive a bit North of your location where Paul A is located. He has a L-16 for rent and believe that they give instruction there as well.

Joe A

Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis »

Marc,
I'm a bit surprised that CP in Santa Paula wasn't able to help you out. If it was something you don't wish to share with the list send it to me via a PM.
I thought there was a Citabria at Whiteman for rent. Was either the Banner guys or Dusty Rhodes at Vista Aviation.
If your near Whiteman ask around about some Howard projects I'm hearing rumors about.
Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046

addicted2climbing

Post by addicted2climbing »

Hello Paul,

When I started this process I first asked CP aviation about training in their Citabria and they said due to insurance reasons it was a no go. I had a friend who had 2 hangars at SZP and he was a member of my sailplane club and he was going to teach me for the price of gas in his Champ but 2 weeks before we were to start he died of an anurism. As far as I know his champ is still there in his hangar but emails to the family have not turned up any leads as I would be very interested to buy his champ since it would remind me of my friend. He also has a Culver cadet which is really nice as well as a mooney and Pic-20 sailplane. Anyhow so for a year I shelved flying and also due to the sailplanes being not too convenient to fly since I had to drive 100 miles I started flying hangliders and I am finding I really enjoy it, but I also dont want to lose sight of flying Power since it was what I wanted to do since i was a kid. My mom tells me she was miffed that I could name the parts of an airplane before I said mom...LOL Anyhow I am finaly to the point where I can save up and just get this going. I think I will be fine learning in a 172 and many peoples advice tell me to lean towards that anyhow. I was just trying to find the shortest point between learning and owning a TD. I know there is a Howard that was recently built last year at SZP and its pretty nice. Its a pretty much a Mr Mulligan since I think its a short wing Howard.

I am currently taking groundschool from someone at Van Nuys and he seems really knowlegeable and chances are I will just use him as my instructor. Or at least try out a few then decide.

As for your operation, I looked at it a few weeks ago and wished we had that around here. I use to have family (ex wife's) in Livermore and I have quite a familiarity with that airport and area. I imagine heading over the hill to the Bethel Island area on the Delta would be a lot of fun to fly around low near the water.

I am not too familiar with the FBO's at Whiteman but maybe I will look around there as well.

Best regards,

Marc