Value of L-16B

Any Aeronca built during a war or flown for use by the armed services.
180pilot

Value of L-16B

Post by 180pilot »

I would like to find a way to value a 1947 L-16B CCM I would like to make an offer on. Cannot find any recent sales of such. Any ideas or formula about how much the Warbird status increases the value over a civilian model 7AC with 90 hp?

thanks

MikeB

Re: Value of L-16B

Post by MikeB »

I think with the 'war bird' status (such as it is) much depends on how well it's restored to original state. The L16B is more rare than the L16A and with the 90 horse engine, hyraulic brakes, etc. is more desirable than other models. I see them going for $30,000 +++ but it all depends on condition. I have my L16A insured for $30,000 but I probably have more in it as it's pretty heavily modified with a 0200 engine, two wing tanks, interior and it's painted yellow instead of silver.

Like any 60+ year old airplane there can be a lot of hidden issues that should be checked for: bent, rusty tubing, spars, etc.

Hope this helps some.

MikeB

rkittine

Post by rkittine »

Is it a real L-16B or a 7CCM or a converted 7AC? Howe many hours on the engine, total and SMOH / Top ?

I have a 7CCM, with the C-90-8 and the standard configuration of one nose tank and one 5.5 gallon wing tank, but it was a 7AC conversion and not a factory 7CCM or Army Model with any pedigree.

I have about $35,000 in it and think it is currently worth about $25,000.00 if that helps.

Bob
Robert P. Kittine, Jr.WA2YDV
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C.
New York, New York 631-374-9652
rkittine@aol.com

Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis »

180pilot,
Start by asking 25% over the Champ price and see where it goes, but it must have military history.
Like Rick said, find out what you have a 7CCM or an L-16B. The fuselage has a few extra items on the L-16B that the CCM doesn't have.
Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Also to my knowledge, the L16's (both A & B) have a lever and quick link to jetison the door so the pilot and passenger can parachute out :shock: .

MikeB

Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis »

That's right Mike.
The attach points for the rear glass is in a different position.
Paul

180pilot

Post by 180pilot »

It has both the Military and Aeronca data plates, history is a L-16A converted to a 7BCM then converted to a 7CCM with C-90 eng by service letter 15 has two wing tanks and header. Recent recover and always hangared:

180pilot

Post by 180pilot »

Try this again, first post has disappeared??? I have researched docs on this Was a L-16A converted to 90 hp and large tail using Aeronca service letter 15 has two data plates Army and Aeronca stamped 7AC conv. 7CCM Registered as a 7BCM has door release, very low eng time and hangared and not flown since recovered by current owner...has battery, two terra radios, position lights and a turbo generator:

williamc

Post by williamc »

180 pilot,
you might want to check the registration on the plane in the picture. The FAA website shows the registration expired 9/30/2013.
Bill
Carolina Aeronca Pilot

Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis »

If it has a 7AC data plate it's a 7AC converted to an L16. Unless the FAA has screwed up the paperwork along the way.
Paul

jc pacquin

Post by jc pacquin »

If you google n81607, you will come upon a 1946 7bcm cubby green and white. I bought it 6 years ago from a retired airline captain. It was 85 hp, full electric, starter, new millinium cylinders, transceiver, transponder. Interior, stripped and painted white, Ceconite, seats, black leather. paint in very good condition. excellent tires, Scott 3200 tail wheel, wheel pants, flat black panel with all instruments in good condition. McCauley metal prop had 300 hours with separate log book. It was at least a 9 inside and out. ( all glass was perfect.) I bought it for 30 grand, sold it for 33 grand. All log books were in order plus all receipts for work done since the 60's. I would not be impressed that a champ was "ex military" whatever that means. It could mean that it just sat around a guard base for years rusting away.I would be much more impressed by the horsepower, logs, and what a very close inspection reveals. I don't think the price of a quality champ has changed much. For me, 85 hp. With starter would be a minimum. 0200 would be nicer.

jc pacquin

Post by jc pacquin »

I forgot the reason I sold it. It only had the 12 gallon tank, no wing tanks whIch severely limited it's range. I was going to add wing tanks but the price was more than I wanted to spend so I sold it.

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

According to the FAA records there are 196 listed as 7BCM's. That would be those 'left' out of about 509 (about) before the military switched to the 90 horse 7CCM. Now whether all those are actually L16A's is open to question or whether they were somehow 7AC's converted to 7BCM using Aeronca SL 13 although in such cases I think the date plate should be stamped "CONV". I thought the "M" stood for military whether a BCM or a CCM but I suppose things get muddled over 60+ years. I know mine is actually a L16A as I have the military serial number and some related paperwork but I usually describe it as a 7BCM as not to confuse the feds when filing 337 paperwork, etc. There's a big gap in the paperwork but I do have a record of when it was transferred to the Civil Air Patrol which I think is where a lot of the "L"s wound up after the military got done abusing them. Off the top of my head I want to say about 1956. Also, I could be wrong but I believe only the "L" series had the lever door release up until the Citabrias. I believe the L16A had the nose tank only (13 gallons) and the L16B had the nose tank plus one 5.5 gallon wing tank with a total capacity of 18 1/2 gallons.

Mike B

jc pacquin

Post by jc pacquin »

The airplane I described above May be for sale. I recently spoke to the current owner in Houston Texas. He also owns a cornell, WW2 trainer that is costing him quite a bit to keep flying. He allows as how the 7BCM may have to go. He has kept it in perfect condition, hangared and says its in tip top shape. He purchased it from his brother in Virginia , who had to quit flying due to eye problems. His brother bought it from me. It has Amazing, well kept records. I have his number if anyone interested PM's me. Best, JC ( if I were younger, I'd buy it back!)

jc pacquin

Post by jc pacquin »

This would be, it seems to me, a great airplane for someone with mikes background to buy and when an overhaul was indicated, do a don swords conversion to an 0200 and put the wing tank or tanks in it. I don't have that ability, or the money. Best, JC