Tailwheel spring tension??

Landing gear, wheels, brakes and tailwheels for all aircraft.
Paul Agaliotis

Re: Tailwheel spring tension??

Post by Paul Agaliotis »

Mike,
Karen is on the ball and will get you the correct wheel.
I see so many people try to use these worn out tail wheels, and it's not until they are out in the weeds a few times they look for a solution. This little tail wheel will do the job.
The only issue I've had was my own fault. I over greased it and it wouldn't lock, I had to open it up and clean it out. I now use a light body grease, sparingly.
Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046

Red(neck) Barron

Post by Red(neck) Barron »

Mike, you won't regret it. I took Paul's advice over a year ago and haven't given the tail wheel a second thought since. It's always back there doing it's job. I did go through several sets of springs from the aviation isle at Tractor Supply before I found a set I liked and even still, I'm not sure that a tad bit more tension might not be good but I'm used to these now.
Larry H
Sigourney, IA
Formally N84619, N84149 & N84069 - all1946 7AC's; also N57430 a 7ECA
Currently N91RA 7GCAA (Still a Champ, just grown up some)

EDGEFLY

Post by EDGEFLY »

Mike,
I guess I am a little late here but, I had terrible troubles with my Maule TW on my Chief (both on grass and hard surface) when I first started flying it. An A&P told me "aw, I'm sure it's right-blah-blah". Then I made one of those really smooth wheelies- until the TW touched ! I thought it was going to be in the ditch! After that, I sat down with the same guy and insisted that we do the springs setup EXACTLY per the Maule instruction sheet. He didn't like it when I insisted that we follow the procedure but we did anyway. Almost two years since, and not a ripple on the pond. I can't say what might happen on a real slow machine like a Champ but, you're now up in the High Performance machines. Think positive !

Dale

EDGEFLY

Post by EDGEFLY »

Mike,
I guess I am a little late here but, I had terrible troubles with my Maule TW on my Chief (both on grass and hard surface) when I first started flying it. An A&P told me "aw, I'm sure it's right-blah-blah". Then I made one of those really smooth wheelies- until the TW touched ! I thought it was going to be in the ditch! After that, I sat down with the same guy and insisted that we do the springs setup EXACTLY per the Maule instruction sheet. He didn't like it when I insisted that we follow the procedure but we did anyway. Almost two years since, and not a ripple on the pond. I can't say what might happen on a real slow machine like a Champ but, you're now up in the High Performance machines. Think positive !

Dale

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Hmmm! Slow machine like a Champ :? . Well, I own both a Chief and a L16 (type Champ) although the Chief is in the 'restoration state' right now. Anyway, I think I've tried every combination of springs on my Pneumatic Maule and it would still shake the fillings out of my teeth on occasion. I loved my little Firestone even if it wasn't on the TC (until it unocked on the roll out). I suspect it may have been original from the military. I might be a little paranoid as we had a Taylorcraft lose the tailwheel steering and hit the only tree on the airport. The new tailwheel is on order and should be installed in a few days.

Mike

wisconsin7ac

Post by wisconsin7ac »

Mike,

Completely agree on Maule Pneumatic, I have owned, flown and worked on several Aeronca's and never met a Maule Pneumatic I liked. The only thing they seem good for is when you are on Skiis, then they track pretty decent in 2 foot of snow!! :lol:
and they are a little taller so the tail stays up a little more. I would like a pirep on that new tailwheel because I have,(you guessed it) a maule pneumatic that came with my 65LB Chief project and Im not interested in testing out the new welds on my tailpost going down the runway.

Jim

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Hi Jim,
Just got word they were shipping the new TW today. I was kind of hoping to have it in case I fly to Oshkosh next week but time will tell. I was looking at my stash of tail wheels in the shop today. I have the Maule Pneumatic sitting on the shelf (almost new), a new Maule hard rubber on my Chief project, a Fire Stone (probably came on the L16 when it was new) and a Scott 3200 that needs some parts...that was on my friends Stinson 108 and fell apart after take off. Guess I inherited it when I bought his hangar. Hopefully the new one from Aviation Products will be the answer. I'll let you know.

Mike

jc pacquin

Post by jc pacquin »

I've mentioned this before. My 85 HP champ had a Scott 3200. At one point it started the vibration bit. 80 year old AI said "not to worry, springs too loose"Said they should be "firm" but not too tight. No more problems. Then two Taylorcrafts. First one had a 3200 Scott, no problems. Last one had a HARD wheel Scott number unknown......was there a 200 Scott? It was new and was very smooth. The AI claimed tension on springs made big difference. I always pay close attention to the tail wheel before every take off. Years ago a spring was broken either before takeoff or during flight and after landing it was a thrilling ride. Scared the s--- right out of my own self! JP

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea »

DELCOM wrote:Mike

Have you checked out the API tailwheel. If not you should.

Del
This would be my choice... and everything on the API is a direct clone of the Scott 3200 that I know of.

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Tailwheel from API arrived today ( 6" double fork, 45 degree Model 6131). Price was $272.94 with shipping. Looks like a nice wheel. It does seem awfully tight on the tail spring and I didn't want to force anything until I hear back from Karen so guess I'll have to sit on it for awhile. As everything says 'homebuilt ' on the catalog I would like some validation that it's a legal fit even though I know it's what's used on the new LSA Champs. The order form doesn't say anything other than "Champ". I'm off to Oshkosh tomorrow if the weather cooperates but guess I'll have to use my present TW for now.

Mike

DELCOM

Post by DELCOM »

Mike
I have the documentation from ACA that shows the validity of installation on a Champ. Call me and I will bring you up to speed.

Del
209 532-zero two three eight
N84029 7AC conv. #2716 Completed and flying
N83059 7BCM #1715 fully restored and sold

Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis »

Mike,
You can find the information in the Civil Air Regulations, Part 4a. The chapter is 4a477, it explains that the tail wheels are not regulated. This only applies to aircraft with a Certification Basis in the CAR,s not the FAR's.
Paul

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Installed the API tailwheel and all seems well although I only have a few landings on it and none on hard surface. My only issue is the spring set up as I'm using the original compression type springs (one light and one heavier) and the rudder pedal 'feels' different. I may go to tension springs or see if I can locate another compression spring of the same tension. Not a big deal, though.
Mike

Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis »

Mike,
I use the tension springs but not with too much tension. I'll use the D clips on both ends and about 3 links of the sash chain. I will put a few extra segments on each end. I've pitched the springs off and lost some chain before, nice to have some extra on the other side. You're going to love this little wheel, and throw rocks at everything else.
Paul

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

API tailwheel update :!: :!: Works great :D . No hard surface landings yet but I don't anticipate any problems as it feels nice and stable. I finally settled on tension springs with just a 'smidge' of spring tension and it gives me a good even feel on the rudder pedals.
Mike