Tailwheel spring tension??

Landing gear, wheels, brakes and tailwheels for all aircraft.
MikeB

Tailwheel spring tension??

Post by MikeB »

First of all I think I'm going to give up on my Maule pnuematic (spelling??) tail wheel. I only have a couple of hundred hours on it but I've tried most everything to stop it from vibrating, including changing spring tension combinations, new leaf spring, angles....you name it. Works great on grass but shakes the fillings in my teeth on hard surface.

My L16 came with a Firestone hard rubber tailwheel that works pretty well, looks somewhat similiar to the old Scott hard rubber so I'm going to go back and give it a shot again. How much spring tension is too much and how much is not enough :? I've never found much of a difinitive answer anywhere but I'm assuming not so much that it wears the rudder pins and at least enough to give good control. I probably answered my own question but thought I'd throw it out for other who may have run into the same problem it chime in on.

Mike

Paul Agaliotis

Re: Tailwheel spring tension??

Post by Paul Agaliotis »

Mike,
Make it snug. The tighter you make it,the more load on the lower rudder hinge. If it unlocks like the Scott 2000 it need some tension to lock forward. If it's a non swivel it can have some slack.
Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Thanks Paul,
Kind of my thought and about where I have it right now. What your thought on the Firestone tailwheel? I don't see it in the TC but I suspect it might even be the original L16 military model.
Mike

Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis »

Mike,
The little tailwheels seem to be bought up by different companies. Most are similar and even use the same components. Somewhere along the line Scott bought Firestone or visa-versa. The TCDS shows a bunch of stuff, but the document is used for obtaining the TC not necessarily installation approval. But these CAR4 airplanes don't regulate the tailwheels so anything with the form,fit,and function should work.
Paul

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Is there any way to get the ##%%%# Maule Pneumatic tailwheel to stop vibrating on hard surface? I'm not a guy that gives up easily, but as I posted above, I've replaced the tail spring, rudder springs, checked the angle (positive), everything is tight including the shaft bushing, tire is new. It works great on grass, locks and unlocks correctly, but is a bear on hard surface. After spending close to $300 I really don't want to throw it on the shelf as a bad buy. I can use my little FS hard rubber tailwheel but I really prefer the pneumatic if I could get it to work right. Is there any benefit to going to a more positive angle? About the only way I can stop the shaking on hard surface is to raise the tail from the three point but eventually the tail has to come down.

MikeB

Captgrumps

Post by Captgrumps »

Mike I have found that the Maule Pneumatic is not a good match for light airplanes like Aeroncas and Cubs regardless of what you do, especially on hard surface--so-so on grass. The solid Maule is OK. The one I personally tried is on the shelf. Wouldn't want to have a recipient complain to me about it, even if it was free. Good Luck, let me know how you do.

Doug
Keep the pointed end forward--
The dirty side down.....
And the blue skies on top....

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Been awhile but I finally gave up on the Maule and am using my little Firestone (which I suspect might be a Scott clone). Today when I was landing (on grass) I had to straighten out my landing a bit :oops: and the tail wheel unlocked during the roll out. No problem as I just corrected with the brakes but wondering if this is 'normal' for a tail wheel to unlock at times when it's necessary to apply 'extra' rudder pressure. I have about 400 hours of TW time but it's only happened to me a couple of times. Other than that I love the little wheel as it doesn't shake like the pnuematic Maule. I'd like a 3200 $cott but............
Thanks,'
Mike

DELCOM

Post by DELCOM »

Mike

Have you checked out the API tailwheel. If not you should.

Del
N84029 7AC conv. #2716 Completed and flying
N83059 7BCM #1715 fully restored and sold

DELCOM

Post by DELCOM »

I thought you might like a photo

Del

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

I like that....double fork and all. Price$$???? (which shouldn't be a factor all things considered).

Mike

GWestphal

Post by GWestphal »

Mike, I bought my tailwheel in the fall of 2009 from API direct for $255 plus $10 for shipping. I've been flying for 4 weeks and have 20 hours on it with 10 ldgs on concrete and 10 on grass. My order form say 6" double fork 45* flat tailheel assy American Champion Aircraft Approved Alt Ref ACA Dwg #3-486. Haven't had any hint of vibration and its been bounced a couple of times.............Gordy in Mn

Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis »

Mike,
The last price I have on them is $260 direct from Aviation Products Inc. You want a dual fork 6" model. The phone number is 805 646-6042. This is the best tail wheel I've ever used, repair parts are easy on the wallet. ACA uses this wheel on the 7EC-LSA.
Paul

DELCOM

Post by DELCOM »

Mike

I have drawing 3-486 from American Champion. Cost me 40 bucks, was worth the validation to install on my Champ.

Del

I have 1,500 landings on it and still performes as new, with yearly servicing

Del

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Just ordered a 6 inch double fork. Talked to Karen. Seems better than losing control :shock:. I'll make a report once I get it on.

Mike

DELCOM

Post by DELCOM »

Mike

Im sure you probably already know they sell different ones for different angles of springs.
part # 6131
standard 45 degree
is what I used

I think your gonna be real happy...I am

Del

let us know how it works out please