tailwheels revisited

Landing gear, wheels, brakes and tailwheels for all aircraft.
Paul Agaliotis

Re: tailwheels revisited

Post by Paul Agaliotis »

Bob,

The angle should be vertical or the top slightly aft. The only problem I've had was when I over-greased it and had a locking problem. Make sure every is tight back there.
Sorry I missed you in San Diego. I hope Bill is able to get the Chief sorted out. I covered a repair plan for him and then we went to Browns Field and looked at a nice replacement Chief if the insurance gets wonky on him.

Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046

bob turner

Post by bob turner »

Thanks Paul. I tried three different kingpin angles, then took it off and reinstalled the dirtbag Maule.

Any chance I can get you to feel if there is any friction at all in your kingpost? Mine is like it is on air bearings - no damping at all. I am thinking missing part . . .

Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis »

There is no dampening other than the friction of the locking block. It needs to be used with tension springs, I've never used one with compression springs.
Paul

bob turner

Post by bob turner »

I can see I never got back to this.

I tried every angle. I do not like tight chains, so I never tried that. API was quite willing to make an exchange, or stand behind their product.

Instead, I made an .020 Bakelite washer to fit between the machined body and the fork. That way I had some damping - the friction of the Bakelite and the ability to tighten the kingpost on it.

Presto - no shimmy!

Ordered another. I am a convert!

Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis »

Good to hear Bob,

I have not experienced the problem you had. Mine have always worked perfect out of the box. Don't over lube it to the locking mechanism will stick. I've gone to lighter synthetic grease and it works great.
I think they are a great option for a new tailwheel. Most of the little Scotts and Maules were worn out 30 years ago.