Lycoming O235

Anything having to do with an engine that powers any Aeronca aircraft
Hudson

Lycoming O235

Post by Hudson »

Hello Forum!!
Guys, i asked it on facebook group and now going to ask here too!!
I just bought an Lycoming O235-L2C for my experimental Champ project, but i saw after that this Lyc use Dynafocal mount, sooooo my big question is: there is some way to find some dynafocal mount for champ???
Other question is: there is someplace like Fresno Airparts for Lycoming engine?? With a good price and quality???
Thank you very much guys!!!
Hudson

BeaverBill

Re: Lycoming O235

Post by BeaverBill »

Perhaps a call to American Champion Aircraft is a place to start. The 7ECA uses the O-235 engine, although I don't know if it is the Dyna Focal mount version. I do know that your proposed installation has been done before.
Bill

Hudson

Post by Hudson »

Hi Bill!
I talked with Mr. Dale via facebook and him talked that dynafocal never was used on any citabria from the factory, only IO390 engines (i think its for super D) has Dynafocal type!!
Now i dont know how to do on this way...
Thank you!!
Hudson

BeaverBill

Post by BeaverBill »

Hudson,
Since your project is experimental, you could just have an engine mount welded up by someone qualified to weld aircraft parts. Is there a shop in your area that does structural repairs on steel tube aircraft? Might inquire there for suggestions.
Bill

Hudson

Post by Hudson »

Hii Bill!
Im in Brazil so its more difficult, i know a guy here that is certified for aircraft welding, i will contact him!
I saw in Univair (i think) a Dynafocal ring, and i imagined that its for weld in the mount, im right??
Thank you very much!!!
Hudson

Hudson

Post by Hudson »

Hii Bill!
Im in Brazil so its more difficult, i know a guy here that is certified for aircraft welding, i will contact him!
I saw in Univair (i think) a Dynafocal ring, and i imagined that its for weld in the mount, im right??
Thank you very much!!!
Hudson

BeaverBill

Post by BeaverBill »

Hudson
I don't have any personal experience with the dynafocal part, but yes I think that is what you can start with. Then welding in the tubing to the firewall ends should be fairly straight forward. Hope it works out for you.
Bill

Richard Murray

Post by Richard Murray »

Hudson-

Best solution is to buy a used or damaged dynafocal mount and then adapt it to the Champ firewall. The welding is fairly straight forward for anyone with gas or TIG welding experience. You can use the Buzz Wagner mount drawing as a reference. It was for an O-235-C1 engine, which used conical mounts. It might be cheaper to trade your O-235-L2C for an O-235-C1, the latter has more horsepower and usually sells for less than the -L2C. Then you can use a standard mount that has been fortified.
Richard