A65-8 Oil Rod

Anything having to do with an engine that powers any Aeronca aircraft
jnmeade

A65-8 Oil Rod

Post by jnmeade »

The oil cap ears are broken off so the oil cap does not secure as well as it should on the oil tube of the sump.
In addition, I suspect the oil rod is the wrong one. When I looked at the TCM specs, they have two different papers with two different call-outs for the oil rod (what I call the dip stick) for the Aeronca A65-8 sump.
One is the A36127, the other is 649608-15. I don't know which is right.
In any case, I think the dip stick I have is wrong. It is marked for up to 4.5 quarts. I just changed the oil and after running the engine it barely gets to 3.5 qts. (This may explain why I've been getting some oil on the gear that apparently is coming out of the breather tube - I know enough to not top off the oil, but when I'm running it at 3 qts on the stick maybe that is 4 qts actual - no wonder if blows out the tube.)

I understand I can make a rod, my main question is where to get the cap. Aircraft spruce has 3 different cap/rod styles but I have no clue which fits what - and the prices are $80 on up!

Any suggestions on where to get the proper cap would be appreciated. I can figure out how to add and mark the rod, if necessary.

Paul Agaliotis

Re: A65-8 Oil Rod

Post by Paul Agaliotis »

I hace made some of the dipsticks. Most of them have been used in different tanks and remarked for capacity. I made mine from 301 stainless and riveted them in the stock location, cut to length and marked.
You need to know if you have a spring style or the torsion bar style. Most have the spring style and you can remove the stick by slightly compressing the stick into the cap and rotate it about 90 degrees. The little ears that lock into the filler neck will flatten out and I have re-V'd them and added a better defined catch area to the filler neck. Also the different caps require different cap gaskets, there is a TCM service letter for this.
Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046

jepropst

Post by jepropst »

The following link is for an article on oil sumps that Bill Pancake and I wrote. It may help answer a few of your questions.
http://johnpropst.yolasite.com/resource ... 20rev8.pdf
John Propst
313 Hickory Grove Ln
Elizabeth, WV 26143
cell 304 588 3690
j.e.propst@ieee.org
N3129E 2WV3

jnmeade

Post by jnmeade »

I appreciate the valuable information. Sorry to be so dense, but can someone suggest a source and part number of a cap for mine A65? The ears are simply not salvageable. Or, maybe someone can suggest how to buy or make a new set of ears?
Thanks