Oratex Fabric

Everything about your Aeronca, not Chief or Champ or Sedan specific.
Bo Grave

Oratex Fabric

Post by Bo Grave »

I have two Aeronca's a chief and a champ that will need to be recovered in the future. I've been reading alot about this new fabric Oratex. They have a EASA STC for it and working on a FAA STC. I have read it takes around 100 hrs. for a small aircraft like our aeronca's and saves 30lbs.Also is non toxic. Interested in everyones opinion on this process.

Eugene Grave (Bo)
A&P IA Aviation Consultant
Eugene ( Bo ) Grave
A&P, IA, R&E
CHAMP
CHIEF
BONANZA

Richard Murray

Re: Oratex Fabric

Post by Richard Murray »

Bo,

I have to confess ignorance about Oratex. I immediately did the Google thing to get more information.

http://www.betteraircraftfabric.com/

This looks real exciting, but won't you still have the issue of paint and keeping it flexible with age?

I covered my 7ECA tail elevators and stabilizers last summer using the Stewart process. It was a huge learning curve from Polyfiber, Superflite, and Randolph, which I had used on previous projects.
I'm pretty committed to using Stewart's in the future, given a choice.

The Oratex uses a heat gun as a means to shrink the fabric and this is radically different from any of the current methods.

I wonder if this is similar to the shrink wrap they use on watercraft to seal them over winter?

Richard
Richard

bob turner

Post by bob turner »

Do a search over on SuperCub dot org. Lots of info there.

I too like some aspects of Stewarts, and have been using it for minor repairs. But I am comfortable with Dacron/nitrate/butyrate, and my next Cub will be that process.

Be careful saving 30 lbs. you might have to weigh the finished ship, and that generally converts Cubs and early Aeroncas into one place aircraft.

Bo Grave

Post by Bo Grave »

Richard,

The UV and paint is inpregnated into the fabric 9 colors to choose from or you can paint. The adhesive is water based and heat activated. 100 lbs/sq in. strength.

Bob,

Anytime you do a recover you should reweigh and do a new W/B.

Bo
Eugene ( Bo ) Grave
A&P, IA, R&E
CHAMP
CHIEF
BONANZA