Need a prewar Chief Aileron

Parts for Aeronca airplanes for sale
wisconsin7ac

Need a prewar Chief Aileron

Post by wisconsin7ac »

I posted this under 'prewar Aeroncas' as well. I need a prewar Chief Aileron. I really only need one, but would buy two if thats the way it has to be. Have some other prewar wing parts to horse trade or $$. 65C/65CA/65LA/65LB

Thanks
Jim
JimLockbaum@gmail.com

hangerash

Re: Need a prewar Chief Aileron

Post by hangerash »

Jim,

How can you tell the vintage of an Aeronca aileron? I have a couple a friend asked me to sell for him, but I have no idea how to ascertain their lineage. They are in good condition with lots of dust and a deformed rib or two. Glad to take some pictures if you are interested. Make him an offer he can't (or shouldn't refuse) and they are yours.

Richard
Richard

wisconsin7ac

Post by wisconsin7ac »

Richard,

Yes send me some pictures. I should be able to tell. The prewar chief has a bellcrank riveted in the center of the Aileron. It hangs down below the Aileron and hits the aileron stop that sticks out of the wing. Postwar ailerons do not have this feature so you can run around under the wing back and forth with no danger of getting the Aeronca 'stamp' on your forehead.

Thanks
Jim
JimLockbaum@gmail.com

Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis »

Jim,
Measure the chord of the aileron. The early T's had a similar aileron with a different chord, I believe larger.
Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046

wisconsin7ac

Post by wisconsin7ac »

Paul,

Will do. I will measure mine and check the print as well.

Thanks
Jim

hangerash

Post by hangerash »

Jim

I sent a couple of pictures of the ailerons directly to your email address

Richard
Richard

wisconsin7ac

Post by wisconsin7ac »

Thanks to Richard for sending me the photos. Unfortunately they are not prewar Chief Ailerons, so I am still searching.
Thanks
Jim

cmacveigh

Post by cmacveigh »

Paul mentioned the need to measure your aileron. There are 3 variations of the early ailerons. The K ailerons are almost exactly like the ones for the Pre-War Chiefs. And then there are the Tandem "T" ailerons.

The one you want is Part Number 5-11. The distance from end to end (of the body not to the attach points) is 85 1/4". The chord is 16 3/4".

The K is part Number 5-5 and it's Length is 83 1/4" and a chord of 15 1/4.

The "T" Early Tandems is part number 5-25 and it's Length is 81 1/4" and a chord of 17 17/32".

Anyway, it's good to measure and identify them properly. I bought a set of ailerons 10 years ago and only recently identified them as being "K". That only means I need to find the rest of the plane.

The original Leading Edge skin was very thin. They call for either .010 52S 3/4H (5052 H_6) or .016 52S 1/2H (5052 H_4). You aren't going to find that anywhere, so plan on using something like 2024T3 .016. Keep it thin!!! The wing flexes and all Pre-War Ailerons have bad leading edges. If you can find something softer than T-3, I would use it. If your original Leading Edge is pretty good, but not perfect, then you should be good. If it's really bad, fix it.

I see folks remake the ailerons perfectly straight and made very solid. This is not an area that should be overly beefed up. I would worry about attach point failures. You're just moving the failure point from a known survivable location to an unknown, potentially un-survivable location. Aeronca fixed this with the Post War planes that have Aileron attach points that float.

Sorry I went off on a long winding path!
Let us know how you fair.
Craig

wisconsin7ac

Post by wisconsin7ac »

Craig,

Thanks for the good information. Yes I was planning on reskinning the 'good'? one I have with .016 It is fairly beat and yes you are right they need to flex with the wing and if they don't I believe the crack would emulate from the bolt holes on the rear spar, where they are attached. I built the wings from the prints last winter and its been a long process but am getting closer to the end.

You would have to see the other aileron I have to believe it (bought them as a pair). It is made entirely from .050 including the leading edge!! about three times the weight and it would not even fit on my wing. I believe it had been on an airplane because I stirpped the old grade A off of it. Not sure how big of hammer they used to attach it though. :mrgreen:

It never ceases to amaze what you find on old airplanes flying around. I had a 39 65C years ago and it was a flying junkyard with lots of wrong everything. These old prewars seem to attract alll the wrong parts I think because the right ones are somewhat impossible to find and the knowlege base for prewar Aeronca's is getting smaller everyday. Anyways thanks for the info and I think Todd has a prewar aileron I can get from him. I would like to post some pictures of the old 'air knock era' on here if I could. Maybe a photobucket account when I get a moment as I have lots of pictures.

Jim

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Jim,
Headed south for awhile so my Chief project is on hold. Fuselage, wings, ailerons and one stabilizer are covered. I might come back about the time of the Log Cabin ski fly for a week or so and may see you there. If you get a chance can you check with Kip and see if he has any McDowell starter parts hidden in his stash? I never got around to it. I think you have my cell phone numbers.
Stay warm!!
Mike

wisconsin7ac

Post by wisconsin7ac »

Mike,

I feel bad for you having to put up with all that warmth and sunshine and not able to spend the rest of the winter freezing with the rest of us. :|

I have the fuselage through silver, the wings ready to spray silver, and the stabilizers covered, so you are ahead of me by a bit, but this things gonna fly Thursday. (no month or year yet, but I might go out on a limb and say 2014). Really trying to get it to Blakesburg if possible.

Maybe see you at Doug's if I can get my old clunker J-3 defrosted and pointed in that direction.

Jim

harmonii

Post by harmonii »

Check with Todd at the Aeronca museum, he often has parts for sale. Helps the museum too!

http://www.aeroncamuseum.org/

Everyone on this forum -should- be a member, :)

-Harmon
Live on Lake, seaplane in back yard....