Air Box

Parts for Aeronca airplanes for sale
Champ Dreamer

Air Box

Post by Champ Dreamer »

Help ! I'm getting close. The engine is basically together, all covering and paint is done. The interior is finished and I am about to hang the engine. Can't go much further without an airbox, however. Anyone got one sittin' on the shelf that you'd like to sell. Condition is not that important. I can fix it up.

Thanks !
Brian Walker
'46 7 AC/DC C-85-12

Mikek

Re: Air Box

Post by Mikek »

Champ Dreamer wrote:Help ! I'm getting close. The engine is basically together, all covering and paint is done. The interior is finished and I am about to hang the engine. Can't go much further without an airbox, however. Anyone got one sittin' on the shelf that you'd like to sell. Condition is not that important. I can fix it up.

Thanks !
Brian Walker
'46 7 AC/DC C-85-12
Have you found one yet, if not let me look tomorrow at the airport, if I find (2) you could fix both and send one back.

Soory just looked at your post C-85 mine would be for a A-65.
Mike K
Mike Knemeyer

1410 Meadow Lane
Yellow Springs,Ohio 45387

3oh0
N83348 7AC-2015
N82146 7AC-772

Champ Dreamer

Post by Champ Dreamer »

Mike,

Is there a difference between the 65 and 85 airbox? I believe the carbs are the same. I would be tickled to fix both, if it'll work. I'll check on my end.

Thanks,
Brian

Mikek

Post by Mikek »

Champ Dreamer wrote:Mike,

Is there a difference between the 65 and 85 airbox? I believe the carbs are the same. I would be tickled to fix both, if it'll work. I'll check on my end.

Thanks,
Brian
Will check on this end also
Mike Knemeyer

1410 Meadow Lane
Yellow Springs,Ohio 45387

3oh0
N83348 7AC-2015
N82146 7AC-772

brink

Post by brink »

Hello flyer:
You might want to try A friend Jerry Pockrus, 940-390-6357, he may have what your looking for, He resides in Justin Texas, at Clark field, just a small strip, A fellow flyer Sunny

Champ Dreamer

Post by Champ Dreamer »

Mike,

Checked the resources I have and it looks like the airbox for A-65-C90 is the same. If you would like to make a deal (I fix one airbox and return and keep the second one) I'm up for it. PM me and I'll send you my Fedex Ground number.

Thanks,
Brian Walker
walkmet at usa dot net

Champ Dreamer

Post by Champ Dreamer »

Sunny,

Thanks for the lead, I've got his number recorded. If the other deal doesn't work, I'll give him a call.

Thanks again,
Brian

dlrude

Post by dlrude »

Hello,

oops I see that I posted this on the wrong forum, will fix that, posted it on the general forum

brink

Post by brink »

Old Post I am in the middle of an engine upgrade and a fuselage recover, this project like all projects increasing to this a nickel and dime undertaking. The Airbox was off a Cessna 150, I think! And after talking to a few of the previous owners, The plane had an off airport landing, into an open field, the culprit was thought to be Carburator ice. From the repairs, I’ve noticed a possible ground loop, which is fairly common, My thoughts are probably right when every Champ has gone thru at least one ground loop in its life. It did get the prop, which was wood, at the time of the incident, which occurred at the University of Massachusetts, aeroclub. Wrote a letter to those boys, and got a nice return letter, stating I know nutting Nutting Nutting! Sounds like Col Klink, I like history and why not, know about your Champ and it’s past, even tho It might be imbarrising! But making a long story kinda short, I started searching for an Aeronca Airbox, mostly made of unobtainum material, but not quite so, you can find parts at the big box stores, but they all back ordered, so I did the big box shuffle and ordered a complete unit, complete with the famous Airmaze air filter, that was almost as expensive as the new PMA FAA Aeronca Airbox, Oh it back ordered too, and it finally shipped last Monday. Yet to see the end result of that Puppy, but we shall see, now I am sounding like Col Klink.

brink

Post by brink »

Well that Airbox arrived in a owner made part, not PMAed I can live with that, very nice assembly and very well built. The only part I want to do is a reinforcement plate, thin Steel where the Airbox mounts up to the Carburator, I’ve got the material, Don’t get me wrong I told Wag not to PMA the part, originally it was not PMAed, equil to or better than owner manufactured replacement.

Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis »

Keep a close eye on that Wag stuff, some of it can be pretty dangerous. Keep the replacement parts equal to the original parts. Should you try to make them "better than" it will require additional engineering.
Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046

brink

Post by brink »

Paul Paul Paul, can you tell me if one person could tell the difference looking at the original compaired to the Univair that Wag Aero Aeronca Box. It’s that good, a friend of mine been around Aeroncas longer than I have buy about 14 years my senior, has very thick glasses, his comment (where did you find an original Airbox) It’s really that good, and I have had no issues with Ithor company on their replacement parts, I’ve been told if it was not originally PMAed, and on the Aeronca, nothing was PMAed. Only parts your adding that were not on the original design must be PMAed. My first Champ had those gray seat belts, not metal to metal. And no belt Identifier on them, seat belts fall under a different category. They changed the ruling,

Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis »

There a number of inspectors that can tell the difference. I have inspected many Aeronca's that have the C150 style air-box installed and it's not a concern for me at all. I have worked for many people that use the W/A products and it all comes down to price, but, you get what you pay for. The 150 box Wag sells is not of very good quality and generally breaks where the carburetor neck attaches to the box. The material is too thin in this area to support the carb correctly. Used other manufacturers without issue.

It's unclear to me if you purchased a direct replacement or a C150 style. I have never seen a W/A replacement air-box but have used Univair with no issues.

You're correct, nothing was PMA'd. Most part were adaptations of auto/industrial parts. Same with TSO's. These parts are only required when asked to be. Seat belts are a TSO item as well as batteries and transponders. But not radios, unless it's a rotorcraft.

Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046