Roll-up Hangar Doors

General discussion and guidelines
Red(neck) Barron

Re: Roll-up Hangar Doors

Post by Red(neck) Barron »

I've seen a setup like that only the center post was hinged at the top and a rope / pulley system was used to retract the post back and up to the roof line. Pretty slick but still seems like it could be an issue to keep everything aligned adequately all the time.
Larry H
Sigourney, IA
Formally N84619, N84149 & N84069 - all1946 7AC's; also N57430 a 7ECA
Currently N91RA 7GCAA (Still a Champ, just grown up some)

jc pacquin

Post by jc pacquin »

The strip I flew out of for many years started on a dairy farm. The farmer, smitten by the flying bug originally kept his champ in an equipment shed along with hay rake, tractor, etc. as he expanded, he simply put up another equipment shed , and then another, etc. with a lowered roof which would just clear the tail of a tri gear aircraft ( so that the sun could only hit the airplanes in late afternoon. NO doors. This worked great for 50 years until the big center support wooden posts, set in concrete, rotted out. Eventually 25 or more aircraft were kept this way and some renters, on their own dime, put doors on their specific hangars. He eventually was a Cessna dealer and also taught in two 150 cessnas. They were all kept in the above hangars. Worked great. This is in maryland where big snows are usually not a factor. The doors were usually 2 stage sliding doors with roller track at top, none at bottom. He also obtained two nice low buildings from Aberdeen proving grounds , ("govmint") used metal frame, corrugated metal roof buildings that he converted into hangars. (W42 fallston) he was young during the depression and knew how to weld, construct, repair, etc. in addition to milking 80 head. When not doing all this and raising two kids, he flew some. :D

jc pacquin

Post by jc pacquin »

Forgot......at the bottom, the doors had attachments for metal rods that dropped into pipes in the ground so the doors could not blow into the aircraft. The original hangars were cantilever types. Simple but worked very well.

jc pacquin

Post by jc pacquin »

Today.....the owner passed away a few years ago and so the hangars are mostly in disrepair and need maintence plus the aircraft owners who cared about the place and helped out some are gone. Changing times.

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

My hangar is 40 X 32. If I built another it would be 42 x 40 at least. I'm a bit limited by property lines but I also own another hangar on the older part of the field which is 40 x 30. This one has doors that roll around the inside and appear to be part of a old manure bucket track. When I was young and ambitious I moved this whole building, 80 x 30, hauling the pieces 15 miles behind my tractor and a two flat bed trailers in tandem.The newer hangar actually has four doors: two (10 foot each) that swing in against the inside walls and two (10 foot each) that roll out on tracks past the outer support posts. Works ok except when we get heavy snow but I'm generally in Texas that time of the year anyway. As JC mentioned I also have metal rods that drop into holes in the cement to keep the doors from pushing in and also 2 x 4 boards that slide up and keep the swinging doors from pushing in from the wind.
The slickest door I've seen is a " cool air or kool air" (??) that roll around the inside of the hanger on rollers. We have two new hangars on our airport that have them. I want to say the price is about $5000 which is more than I wanted to spend so I built my own for about $500 or so (being a cheap Norwegien :roll: )

Mike

jeffjones

Post by jeffjones »

I just installed Fold Tite Stacker doors on my new hangar and am pleased with them. They can be mounted inside if snow and ice are a problem. Cost around $4,000 if I recall.

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

I just checked the web site and looks like Cool-air and Fold-Tite are the same company. While the bi-fold electric doors are nice and give you some shade if you need, it only takes a couple of minutes to open these doors that roll around the inside.
Mike

shorty

Post by shorty »

rkittine wrote:Looking forward to the pictures as the width of a double garage door is only about 20 feet and requires support / tracks on both sides. How do you get the plane out with multiple doors?
The tracks are installed in such a way as to allow them to be removed when the doors are up.

I can't post any pics, as there is no option to do so here, without first uploading them to a 3rd party hosting site, which is filled with pop-up ads, and videos, with no way to remove them untill they run their course, which takes entirely too much time.
I'd rather be able to upload them directly from my machine, to this post.
Thanx
Shorty

shorty

Post by shorty »

I think I have this. :shock:

Please excuse the mess, it's a work in progress.
The R-Max is where two swinging doors will be when I get this done.
The Garage doors came to me free from the dump, complete with electric openers.
One door opened, and swinging door open. Note the post in the way.

Latch at the top of post. Bottom is held with a gate hinge.

Post gone. All the posts are done this way. I can open up the entire 32' with no posts in the way. I would figure that with 4 nine foot wide doors, a 40 foot opening can be had.
Thanx
Shorty