Roll-up Hangar Doors

General discussion and guidelines
EDGEFLY

Roll-up Hangar Doors

Post by EDGEFLY »

I'm planning a strip near my home and, of course, a home alongside for my Chief. If anyone on this forum has any experience with -or knowledge of roll-up type hangar doors, please share it.

Dale

Dennis

Re: Roll-up Hangar Doors

Post by Dennis »

Dale,

Do you mean a bi-fold door?

Dennis

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea »

Believe that Mike here on this bulletin board has experience with them. Hope he chimes in on this...

Joe A

rkittine

Post by rkittine »

We had roll up doors like these at a Logistics Company I ran. Worked great for large doors where you did not want the hardware for the kind with rollers and tracks overhead that you would see in a typical car garage. I would love to have these in my hanger instead of the Bi-Fold type.

http://www.rollupdoorsdirect.com/
Robert P. Kittine, Jr.WA2YDV
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C.
New York, New York 631-374-9652
rkittine@aol.com

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

I don't know if I'm the "Mike" Joe is referring to but I don't have a roll up door. I have a 32 X 40 hangar with two 10 foot doors that swing in to the inner wall on either side and two 10 foot doors that slide out on either side. I built my own doors (obviously) and they work OK for a cheapie like me :oops:.

The neatest doors I've seen have been put in at the two new hangars at our airport and they split in the middle and roll around to either side. All aluminum framing and I want to say the price was around $5000 but unsure .

Mike

EDGEFLY

Post by EDGEFLY »

Dennis,

No, I did mean roll-up, in the sense of a piece of plastic or polybacked metal sheet that just rolls up and thus doesn" have all of the hinges and cables and sometimes huge hydraulic movers that some folding door approaches have. I'm planning for just one plane and hope to avoid the expense and complexities of the folding designs. An example is Paraport doors.

Dale

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Here's the hangar door I was describing. We have two of these on our airport. Probably not cheap but.......

http://cool-airinc.com/files/Download/I ... %20(2).pdf

Mike

EDGEFLY

Post by EDGEFLY »

MikeB,

Thanks for the link. I have thus far been unable to make it work but, have been looking at the cool-airinc site and will go back to see if I missed something. I had been thinking about a similar approach as a possibility-maybe internally mounted.

About your own approach. Do your two 10 ft doors slide straight out to the sides like barn doors ? When you say the other two 10 ft doors swing to the inside, does this mean that you park the plane with the nose towards the back wall to make room for them to swing inside ? If you don't have photos, would you send me a sketch showing how they are arranged ?

Dale

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Hi Dale,
The two 10 foot side doors do slide out on a track mounted on side posts so technically there is a 60 foot track along the front of the hangar (40 X 10 X10). These door would meet in the center of the hangar when they're closed. The other two 10 foot doors swing in when open and behind the other doors when closed. Don't know if this makes much sense but the best I can describe it and I'm away from home for another month or two so I can't take a picture. I do have a cement floor.

As I mentioned my hangar is 40 X 32 and I can put the plane in either way although I usually taxi nose in part way but if I'm doing work where I want good natural light I can pull it in backward to nose out if that makes sense. The 10 foot swinging doors are not a problem either way. If I was doing it over I would build the hangar at least 40 X 40. I was kind of pinched for room due to the runway and a access road, kind of the reason for the 40 x 32. 44 or so wide would be better for tip clearance with a Champ but 40 is OK as long as you're careful. I had a Cherokee at the time I built the hangar so width was not a problem. I'll see if I can locate pictures somewhere, though.

Hope this helps..

Mike

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

http://www.joea.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.ph ... ors#p34725

I knew there was a posting somewhere on this site. The first pictures are of the cool air doors that roll around all the way to the inside. The second set are of my 'homebuilt doors'.

Mike

rkittine

Post by rkittine »

The guy in the hanger next to me has doors like that (I have bi-fold). His bind, but that might just mean they need an adjustment. The only thing I do not like about them is you loose a lot of side wall hanging space.

Bob
rkittine@aol.com

shorty

Post by shorty »

How about something like this: Regular garage doors, like the ones on your house.
They are inexpensive and easy to install. You can open one, or all. I'll attach pics shortly.
4 standard 9' doors would effectively close up a 40' wide hangar. And if you only need one open that's all you need to open.
Thanx
Shorty

rkittine

Post by rkittine »

Looking forward to the pictures as the width of a double garage door is only about 20 feet and requires support / tracks on both sides. How do you get the plane out with multiple doors?
rkittine@aol.com

Dennis

Post by Dennis »

A friend has two 20 ft. garage doors side by side. The vertical center track has two side and after the two doors are raised, he simply pulls a spring loaded pin and removes the center duel tracks. Very slick set up.

Dennis

rkittine

Post by rkittine »

Sounds slick. Post pictures please.
rkittine@aol.com