Determining Champ Value

Aeronca airplanes wanted or for sale
schror1

Determining Champ Value

Post by schror1 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 14:06

I need help determining an asking price for my 65hp 1946 7AC (S/N 6070). It’s in good shape but hasn’t been flown for five or six years (when multiple sclerosis grounded me). Before that I flew it regularly. I believe an annual and an oil change would make it airworthy. It was recovered in 1978 with Stitts Polycoat. The airplane has always been hangared so the fabric is in good shape. It has Slick mags and four recently replaced cylinders. It has wood spars. I have all the logs and paperwork but I don’t have the TT and TSMO at my fingertips. I’ve owned it since the mid 1970s. I want to price it to move without hassle but I don’t want to give it away. Another consideration is that the airplane is in Wichita and I live in Minneapolis, so I can’t deal with tire kickers. Here it is in a YouTube video: https://youtu.be/879sEyQkoV4 Thanks in advance for your input.

rkittine

Re: Determining Champ Value

Post by rkittine » Sat Jun 22, 2019 09:03

Who will be showing it for you? If it was mine, I would get it back in annual and then determine the value.

Bob
Robert P. Kittine, Jr.WA2YDV
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C.
New York, New York 631-374-9652
rkittine@aol.com

Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:56

Bob is correct. The aircraft in flying condition will bring many more peoples interest.
As far as value, you have to keep in mind the fabric is 41 years old. It might be in good shape but the structure has also been hidden by it for the same amount of time. Engine time will be a factor as well as any damage. Take some time and do a title search to see if there are any weird things with the paperwork. I have seen deals broken by a lien that was satisfied but the paperwork not cleared on the registration.
Just about anything that flies is worth 10K. The price will increase/decrease with condition. The value of the plane will be what you and the buyer agree to. There is just too many variables to assess a value on these little airplanes accurately. Get an appraisal and see what its range could be.
Sorry I couldn't be more help.
Paul Agaliotis
408 799-8302
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046

schror1

Post by schror1 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 17:45

Thank Paul and Bob. This helps. Ron.