My little girl has attitude.

Post-War Aeronca Champ airplanes
marklamon

My little girl has attitude.

Post by marklamon » Sat Apr 17, 2010 23:11

Well a fellow came out to pickup my 7-AC today after he won it on ebay. We looked over the plane and the books, fired that puppy up, and I taxied it to the fuel pitts. He was going to make his first stop 3 hours north so he tanked her up with 26 gallons. He asked if I wanted to go with him around the patch and I declined since he looked to be 225 and I'm just a little smaller than David Johnson tipping the scales at 270. I flipped him off and away he went. "Tanker 221R heavy cleared for taxi" I said to a fellow pilot buddy that came to see her off and watch her get small and go over the horizon.
I felt sick, like a Dad watching his little girl go to the prom with a guy that looks like Joea, just knowing they would not be at the prom very long...........well you guys know the rest of that story.

Any way back to Tanker 221R . The fellow said he had J-3 time, Chief time on floats, and owns a super cub. So I thought it would be a uneventful once around the patch. I asked him if he knew about the two landings you get with no bounce gear and said no, so I explained to him what to expect.
He takes off and does real well holding over the c/l of the runway on climb out despite the wind sock standing straight out almost 90 degrees to the active. Down wind looks good, a little high on base but not to worry a little high is good. On final, looks a little fast, he will slow down he has 5000' of runway he must be playing it safe.

Next thing you know like Joea grabbing the back of her neck and pushing her head lower despite her resisting and trying to come back up he puts the wheels down on the pavement (I'm guessing at 55mph) just after the numbers and stops pushing forward after the wheels first touch (remember no bounce gear) and pulls the throttle back.
Then as I watched my little girl teach him a landing lesson it looked like he dropped a red hot cigar in his lap and then tried pouring hot coffee on it to put it out. Four touch and goes, three one wheel landings and 2500' later he threw the coals to her and went around.
The next landing was a three pointer (I'm guessing 45mph) but once again the no bounce first touchdown syndrome struck again. The main struts were fully extended for at least 300 feet of runway (must have been the power that was still in), then the left (down wind) strut compressed and as it bottomed out the right tire lifted and I could see the stars and bars that are painted on the underside of the wing. The right tire stayed about 4" off the ground for what seemed an eternity, then as the fuse started to point into the wind everything settled down and he taxied off the active.

He told me at that point that he would like to pass on the deal.

I dropped him off to get a commercial flight home. Is there a moral to this story?
Yes, never let the Joea in your house, you will be missing change off of the dresser and you daughter get knocked up. :shock: Mark
Last edited by marklamon on Sat Apr 17, 2010 23:29, edited 1 time in total.
Don't tell my Mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I'm a piano player in a whore house.

SFC Hiatt

Re: My little girl has attitude.

Post by SFC Hiatt » Sat Apr 17, 2010 23:18

When he told you he was a cub driver you should have required a non refundable deposit!

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Sat Apr 17, 2010 23:54

But honest officer, she said she was 18??!! :)

Sorry to see you have troubles but hope at least you had him pay for the Ebay fees. Not your fault that he cannot fly or then turns down some instruction in the plane.

Oh well, find someone who can really fly the plane, or do what you should have done in the first place. KEEP THE CHAMP!!!

Joe A

PS I do not have to grab the back of the ladies neck, they are way ahead of me in this area! :)

marklamon

Post by marklamon » Sun Apr 18, 2010 09:36

joea wrote:But honest officer, she said she was 18??!! :)

Sorry to see you have troubles but hope at least you had him pay for the Ebay fees. Not your fault that he cannot fly or then turns down some instruction in the plane.

Oh well, find someone who can really fly the plane, or do what you should have done in the first place. KEEP THE CHAMP!!!

Joe A

PS I do not have to grab the back of the ladies neck, they are way ahead of me in this area! :)
He was a nice guy even though my little girl not liking him. He not only paid the Ebay fees, he paid for the full tanks of gas AND let me keep the deposit. I need to sell it 13 more times to cub drivers and then I can donate her to Nate and David since they will never have theirs done :mrgreen:
Don't tell my Mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I'm a piano player in a whore house.

David Johnson

Post by David Johnson » Sun Apr 18, 2010 16:48

Nice to know I am at least a reference point for something.....Glad to hear you are still alive. Been wondering. Ever heard of the Big Guy trying to tell you something, Mark? How would you have felt to see her scattered out in front of you? Hope you end up keeping it. David J.

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Sun Apr 18, 2010 17:49

Sm sensing a trend here....

Keep the Champ!!!