4 hour range - 1 hour seat cushion

Post-War Aeronca Champ airplanes
vintageair

4 hour range - 1 hour seat cushion

Post by vintageair » Tue Sep 01, 2009 14:43

One thing I've noticed about my 'new' old Champ is that, although the seat cushion initially felt soft and comfortable, after about an hour or so it feels like I'm sitting on just the metal seat straps. My butt get's numb and my legs start to fall asleep. I tried squirming around and shifting positions but there's only so much you can do. I guess I got spoiled with the Oregon Aero seats in my brother's Maule. I could spend hours in those seats and still feel comfortable.

So, outside of laying out the bucks for Oregon Aero are there any economical sources for decent seat cushions. Even some high tech foam that I could fit into the existing cover might work. The back support is okay for now, just the bottom cushion needs attention.

WWhunter

Re: 4 hour range - 1 hour seat cushion

Post by WWhunter » Tue Sep 01, 2009 16:27

I bought a piece of the 3-layer foam from Jim Fix while at Oshkosh. He is out of Nebraska. I took out the old basic foam from my cusion and replaced it with the new stuff. It is the same stuff that Oregon Aero sells. I think it is 50-60 bucks....can't remember.
By the way......my Champ can hold 39 gallons of fuel.:)
Keith

Dennis

Post by Dennis » Tue Sep 01, 2009 17:25

"By the way......my Champ can hold 39 gallons of fuel."

Keith,

With 39 gallons of fuel, who flies the plane? :lol:

Dennis

WWhunter

Post by WWhunter » Tue Sep 01, 2009 21:46

Dennis,
I do!!! :lol: My Champ is slightly modified with an O-235

Gross weight: 1300 lbs
Empty weight: 891 lbs
39 Gallons fuel: 234 lbs
Me: 155 lbs
Total: 1280 lbs

Dang, I have 20 lbs extra I can use. :)

Keith

SFC Hiatt

Post by SFC Hiatt » Wed Sep 02, 2009 09:03

Half the fun is getting out ever 1.5 hours and talking to other airport bums. We now have 8 airplanes leaving in the morning from Oklahoma to a fly-in located in Iowa. We will make four our five stops and the trip is only 400 miles.

Mnflyer

Post by Mnflyer » Wed Sep 02, 2009 09:13

Hi Dennis I think Keith's trying to put one over on us I head he been laying into the donuts and is now up to 161 lb leaving only 14 lbs. :D :D :P
GB MN.Flyer
Flying a Champ 7DC and a HKS Kitfox III

flyingfool

Post by flyingfool » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:47

SFC Hiatt wrote:Half the fun is getting out ever 1.5 hours and talking to other airport bums. We now have 8 airplanes leaving in the morning from Oklahoma to a fly-in located in Iowa. We will make four our five stops and the trip is only 400 miles.
Will guys make it over to Brodhead, WI? The weekend after Blaksburg is the MAAC Grassroots flyin. It's "only" a couple hundred miles east. Great antique fly in at Brodhead. Many people fly from one to the other. I understand that AAA and MAAC used to be one organization but many years ago there was a parting of ways for God knows what reason. Anyhow if you can't make it this year, maybe plan on it next year!

Weather permitting, I'll be at Brodhead with my Chief!

Nathan K. Hammond

Post by Nathan K. Hammond » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:34

Go to the OregonAero website and surf around their seat cushion pages. That'll give you a starting block on how to design and make your own.

http://www.seatfoam.com/products.htm has the foam. But remember to get some all -purpose upholstery foam from a craft/hobby store. The Temper/Confor foams don't handle abrasion, and will literally breakdown; you have to cover everything with an upholstery foam, then fabric.

I learned through trial and error; the higher I sat, the more comfortable it was.

nkh
7AC-5691
Super 85-12F @ DVK

Ed Clark

Post by Ed Clark » Wed Sep 02, 2009 19:40

I got lucky and found seat cushions from a wrecked citabria and put the front one in. It's way more comfortable and got me up higher. I only have a 13 gallon tank so stop every two hours max and that works fine.
Ed Clark
'46' Champ 7ac
N84961

WWhunter

Post by WWhunter » Thu Sep 03, 2009 08:43

Okay GB.....I'll fess up. It isn't donuts, the hidden weight is my CCW piece and spare mags. Much easier to get rid of than donut weight. :D

Dennis

Post by Dennis » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:43

Ok guys, I will not listen to any more of the derogatory comments about donuts. As far as I am concerned, it is one of the major food groups. :lol:

Dennis

Nathan K. Hammond

Post by Nathan K. Hammond » Fri Sep 04, 2009 00:49

nkh
7AC-5691
Super 85-12F @ DVK

Carl Prather

Post by Carl Prather » Fri Sep 04, 2009 01:33

Call Paul Agaliotis. He has a bunch of old tempurfoam seat bottoms that were trashed. I replaced my seat bottom with this ratty old seat cushion and it's very pleasant. Beats the heck out numb legs!

vintageair

Post by vintageair » Fri Sep 04, 2009 03:48

Carl - I did talk to Paul and he told me about your seat. I've got half a dozen of those cushions myself so I'm going to give that a try. I also found a couple of sources online for Temperfoam and Conformafoam, which are basically the same thing. They sell them in 16x18 inch squares up to 3 inches thick which would fit right into the cover I have now.

But I'm going to try carve up one of the airline cushions first and see how it does. They're actually pretty good cushions that were rejected for minor abrasion, broken flotation straps or sometimes just coffee stains. I've even got some of the form fitting seat pans that go with them that I was planning to try use in the Luscombe.

flyingfool

Post by flyingfool » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:14

I need new seat cushions in my Chief.

16"x18" is probably plenty sufficient to make a single champ seat. But 18" is not nearly enough width to go across the Chief's bench seat!

So my question is how or what type of glue is needed to piece these temperfoam pieces together. I do not need to have a stiff glue that will not crush and bend with the rest of the foam so that there is a noticeable and potentially uncomfortable division where the two pieces are glued together. They must make a glue that holds the 3 layers together but is it available?

Also my existing seat cushion must be about 6 inches thick. Although it crushes down to basically nothing when I sit in it and is why I need to replace it. I want to try and be able to reuse my same upholstery. I'm hoping to just cut one seam and be able to rip out the old foam and insert the replacement and sew back up the one seam.

So I will need to have some sort of additional foam to make up the difference between the 3 inch thick stuff. I suppose I would put this additional foam on top of the 3 layer stuff. Can't think of how else to avoid this ,unless I double the cost and buy twice the temperfoam than I need and put it double thick. But that would mess up the 3 layer system with the soft/medium/firm and then a 2nd layer.

How expensive is this temperfoam? I suppose I could make up double layers of each of the 3 firmness varieties. But this is one heck of a lot of cutting, gluing etc.