McDowell

Props, Spinners and McDowell Starter issues.
MikeB

McDowell

Post by MikeB » Mon Dec 29, 2014 15:33

So I'm looking at a (says complete) McDowell starting system on EBAY and it looks like what's there consists of the 'ratchet' ring, lever, cable and lever knob and I'm thinking there has to be more than that needed. I realize the nose bowl is different and I believe it also said the hub for either the flange or tapered crankshaft included but isn't there also some side brackets and longer through case bolts or am I missing something. Bear in mind I've only seen picture of the unit itself. Price at this posting was $1275. Be interesting to see how high it goes.
Mike

hangerash

Re: McDowell

Post by hangerash » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:10

Here is a picture of the assembly from Drawing 7-712

and here is a picture of a complete unit for sale in Canada

The one on EBay sold for $1530.00 to Chris Cononor

I am told by someone very knowledgeable (he put one on his Chief in the past year) the cost for a McDowell can be done for around $1000.00, but you have to spend some time searching for the parts.
Richard

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue Dec 30, 2014 14:27

Here's another posting on the McDowell. Richard, it looks like the one you posted above is the one I was looking at on "flea bay" and that's probably close to the going price but I wasn't sure if there weren't some pieces missing and being a cheap Norwegian (or so I've been told) I've been looking for a better deal. I'm still thinking there must be one laying around in a dark hangar somewhere gathering dust. I may have located a couple of pieces. I have the flange shaft on my Chief project but they might be good for trading material.
Mike

http://www.joea.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5910

EDGEFLY

Post by EDGEFLY » Tue Dec 30, 2014 19:48

MikeB,
As we HC discussed before, you need to have looked at your"system needs", figured out which exact pieces you need and actually gone out to some of those dusty hangars and done some horse trading to round everything up. Those "Dusty hangar" parts aren't likely to show up on Ebay. This was a relatively low price cited as the sold price. Might make you wonder... OTH maybe these things are getting cheaper all the time ? If you're going to San Antonio this year, maybe you can scour the Southwest.

Dale

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue Dec 30, 2014 19:56

Dale,
I have checked out a couple of the smaller airports around SAT but nothing at this point :( . Guess I need to expand my travel circle. Obviously some of the parts can be replicated but the hub, ratchet, etc. are a different story.
Mike