McDowell Search

Props, Spinners and McDowell Starter issues.
EDGEFLY

McDowell Search

Post by EDGEFLY » Thu Jan 16, 2014 13:36

I am in Fl. this month and, of course, searching for parts, pieces, information, existing operable/inoperable or whatever on this subject which might just happen to be here. Please contact me if you have or know of something useful on the subject.

EDGEFLY

Re: McDowell Search

Post by EDGEFLY » Wed Feb 26, 2014 20:19

Just an update. I'm back in the wild and wooly North and haven't received a lot of drawings for McDowell subassemblies or a whole lot of related Aeronca drawings either. but there have been some Aeronca folks really helping out. As a result I have been able to look over a recently completed McD installation while I was in Fl. and got a much better feel for the problem(s) from that. I do expect to receive a major boost in drawing info within a couple of weeks and most important of all I purchased a McD starter assembly for myself this morning !!! It is the starter only and I have a long way to go on the pulley assemblies etc. But it certainly is a big step forward. A couple of new drawing requirements have arisen though so if you can help with these it will also be a boost for me:

Aeronca Drwg # 4-612 Nose Bowl
Aeronca Drwg # 2-662 Winter Cover

Thanks and I'll be posting results here as I go along.

Dale

PS- Almost forgot, A fellow named Jim Haunstein recently advertised a McD system on the f-AA site. I don't know if it has been sold yet or not. If you are in the market, you might want to check it out.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Feb 26, 2014 20:58

Dale,
How do I go about contacting or getting the particulars from the guy on the FAA site? I'm not a member as I have enough other stuff on my plate and this site seems to work for my purposes.

I talked to a couple of guys at another airport today regarding the McDowell and no luck at this point.

Mike

hangerash

Post by hangerash » Thu Feb 27, 2014 03:28

Mike

Jim's email is fly by jim at g mail dot com

take out the spaces, substitute @ and . respectively and you should reach him

Don't wait too long you are already number 2 because another has stepped forward this morning asking to move into the spot Jim was holding for Dale.

Richard
Richard

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu Feb 27, 2014 09:24

Thanks Richard.
Took care of it this morning.
Mike

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:35

(From the Faa site) Looks like the price tag is $3000 (which might be a fair price) but out of my price range so back to prowling the dark and dusty hangars again. Not a crisis as I have a year or so to finish the Chief plus I can swing the prop if necessary.
Thanks Richard and Bill for the heads up, though.
Mike

EDGEFLY

Post by EDGEFLY » Tue Mar 04, 2014 17:33

March 4, update-

The starter assembly I purchased is on its' way. Should arrive this week. Also have made arrangements for most of the other main components except the drawing-identified hardware which is apparently still available but has new names here in the 21st century. So, I anticipate that it may be possible to build up a complete system for my A-65 w/o having to have anything "manufactured". I haven't done very well on pulling a complete set of drawings together but whatever I have been able to get have been absolutely fundamental in understanding what is required, where it goes and how it relates to the other components. Many of these are McDowell drawings and sometimes there is an Aeronca drawing for the same assembly or part which uses a different title for it or even different interconnection.

Dale

Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis » Tue Mar 04, 2014 20:18

Dale,
That's the tough part in finding these parts. McDowell gave you the parts needed to install the starter to the front of the engine. A couple L brackets and the spacers needed for attachment. All of the other stuff was made by Aeronca to guide the cable to the pull handle.
If you plan to put it in a Chief all of the brackets are welded in for the pulley and the handle. The Champ needs all of the stuff welded in. One other thing, the A series engine and the C series engines use different forward pulley brackets. I've made both in the past and could make some more if needed. They take a little time to build and I,m pretty slammed right now. Collie needs a set so I'll need to start pretty soon.
Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046

EDGEFLY

Post by EDGEFLY » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:41

McDowell Fans,

Another status report and request for help. As of today, I have received a ton of help and guidance in my quest to locate and obtain the design drawings and parts for the installation of a starter for my Chief. the technical data has come from a myriad of sources and includes the magazine article showing the installation of a McDowell (it appeared once on this forum) in a Taylorcraft right on through the finished installation drawings done by Aeronca. I don't have everything (data-wise) but, with generous support from Aeronca lovers have what I feel is necessary to make an installation on my 11 AC Chief. Hardware-wise, my fortunes have also been very good. I have all of the separate pieces (I think) except the Front Bracket Assembly. Most of these things are in my possession or are promised for delivery. This includes a nuts & bolts hardware order from Aircraft Spruce which has not showed up yet but is supposedly, in the mail. The area, in which I have had almost zero success, is the accumulation of data produced by McDowell. There are some Drawings available which show gross installation of starter components but have had zero success in locating the S- series drawings which generally are component pieces of the parts used to build a starter and it's' accompanying brackets, pullers etc. These are on the list of drawings I originally posted in this section and solicited copies since it might eventually become necessary to manufacture some of them. In some cases, Aeronca manufactured some of these parts and generated their own drawing. With some digging these are available. Such is the case with the Front Bracket Assembly. Fortunately, I have the drawings and am considering having one or more Front Bracket assemblies constructed to my specification (Original Aeronca design specification) so that I can do my installation all at once. Alternatively, I am still holding out hope that someone will offer an original part to me.

Well, that is my story of the chase for the moment. If anyone else is interested in a Front Bracket Assembly for an 11 AC , please let me know through this thread or by my pm or by direct e-mail at <tmail51a@gmail.com>. And I can't finish this report, without a special tribute to Colie Pitts and Bill Pancake. If there is a central Bank of knowledge about McDowells, it certainly has these two gents as Members of the Board !

Dale

Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis » Wed Mar 19, 2014 19:45

Dale,
Glad to see you have what you need.
Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Mar 19, 2014 20:51

Dale,
Keep us informed as things progress. How much different is the nose bowl?
I'm still thinking..searching......
Mike

EDGEFLY

Post by EDGEFLY » Wed Mar 19, 2014 21:54

MikeB,

Good luck with your searching. I found that the nose bowl was not a problem for me since my machine has a standard Chief nose bowl and a large (dia.) spinner. If you have that in your CC airplane it should also not be a problem. It may be though depending on the shaft end and motor configuration. You have to interpret my comments as applying only to an 11 AC with a 65 HP conti with a tapered shaft.
The starter assembly itself has an OD of about 10 15/16 inches to give you a feel for the size of things.
There is a procedure for modifying Champ Nose Bowls which is a little complicated but doable. When you want accurate information about the Nose Bowl, I recommend that you contact Colie Pitts. I'm sure he can help you.

I've got Robins, Bluebirds and Red Wing Blackbirds at the feeders so I figure we're all going to be in the air soon !

Dale

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Mar 19, 2014 22:39

My nose bowl is a fiberglass 'replacement' but I guess it could be modified as necessary for clearance. Not to worry at the present time as I have a year or so to finish the project. Spending three months in Texas escaping the Wisconsin winter doesn't help move things along any quicker but I probably couldn't have afforded to heat the shop to work (propane) anyway. It's been a brutal winter up there by all reports. We're headed north next week so I'll be able to get back at it soon.
Mike

clipperfixer

Post by clipperfixer » Fri Mar 21, 2014 07:30

Mike,
If you need a nose bowl for the McDowell starter my Champ had one on it. I would like to trade for a regular nose bowl. If you are interested let me know. I can shoot some pictures of mine.
Ray

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:20

Ray,
Sounds interesting. Can you send a photo to my email address? mikejudyberg@juno.com

Mike