Taper-shaft Ratchet Wheel Needed

Props, Spinners and McDowell Starter issues.
colie85857

Re: Taper-shaft Ratchet Wheel Needed

Post by colie85857 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:38

more coming
Attachments
1 (12).JPG
(149.72 KiB) Downloaded 3823 times
closeup pawl.JPG
(148.26 KiB) Downloaded 3823 times
spacer nuts.JPG
(152.36 KiB) Downloaded 3823 times

colie85857

Post by colie85857 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:42

Lots more for the A65-8 , cable over and under the induction tubes plus the C85 starter mount and the flange shaft mount. But thats enough for today.

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Tue Mar 19, 2013 13:33

NOW you guys see why I wanted Colie or Tom to chime in!

Great stuff Colie!

colie85857

Post by colie85857 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 14:03

any questions so far?
Attachments
TOM, assembleing his starter.JPG
(126.53 KiB) Downloaded 3816 times

Paul Agaliotis

Post by Paul Agaliotis » Tue Mar 19, 2013 16:41

Don't move Tom!! It looks like something just landed on you.
Paul
Mailing Adress : Paul Agaliotis 2060 E. San Martin, San Martin,Calif. 95046

EDGEFLY

Post by EDGEFLY » Tue Mar 19, 2013 17:06

Tom and Colie,

Absolutely beautiful job so far. I have lots of questions, so I'll start with a couple of simple ones:

1) What is the cable definition and what reference material backs it up ?

2) Do you have a list of the drawings which describe each part. These will need to be dimensioned manufacturing drawings since I think there is such a demand for original parts that it is unlikely that every one will find enough parts in the back of some old barn to satisfy the need for them.

3) What specifically is wrong or incorrect with the assembly drawing in the Chief Service Manual ? I want to start there and make corrections as required.

Dale

Chief Pilot

Post by Chief Pilot » Tue Mar 19, 2013 21:24

Tom/Collie, thank you! You're a Photographer Extraordinaire! The photos are very helpful. And thank you joea, for putting Tom on-line. Dale, an ad has been running for a year or so on the Aeronca Aviator's Club regarding McDowell starter parts. A copy is attached, but I have no other info. Here's a link: http://www.aeronca.org/Classifieds.html

Cheers,
Raleigh
Attachments
Ad.JPG
(18.28 KiB) Downloaded 3793 times

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Tue Mar 19, 2013 21:38

Raleigh,

Might be an option, to find someone to back the reproduction and then once the tooling is setup, it would not be that much more to produce copies.

Anyone know the poster? They are in Alaska...

Joe A

EDGEFLY

Post by EDGEFLY » Wed Mar 20, 2013 02:05

Raliegh,

I read the ad but it only addresses copying parts. Thats a good thing maybe but first one needs a part to copy. There are sure to be logistic problems with an Alaskan based shop. I'm not saying not to use this person-just that there may be distance based difficulties with such an arrangement for those of us in the CONUS. In this land of technological marvels, I feel certain that there are many machine shops who could do this work. For a successful production run, it will be necessary to produce a paper design and have an example part for comparison, I think. Over time, I have read that Bill Pancake has multiple pieces of the part you need. Have you contacted him about the flange mounted part you need? Thanks for the tip about parts for sale.

Dale

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Wed Mar 20, 2013 02:19

Dale,

Toss the "distance issue" out of the window. Show him this thread and get him to help finance the duplication of parts at a location that is acceptable to everyone.

Joe A

EDGEFLY

Post by EDGEFLY » Wed Mar 20, 2013 02:37

Joe A.,

I know you have been watching this McDowell thing for a while now. From that experience, do you have any feel for the number of people in this potential market ? Is it possible to retrieve a list of Chief owners from NAA resources ? Another possibility may be this joint type-club organization which would perhaps help identify other a/c owners who might be interested in parts or "starter kits" for their machines. I'm not sure of the ultimate interest Tom and Colie may have in being a source of these items downstream but a registry of potential customers and which pieces they want would certainly be an important starting point, no matter who produces them. It certainly makes a difference if we are talking about 25 individuals interested in various pieces or 250 who want a starter for a particular engine configuration. If this is worthwhile, perhaps a voluntary sign-up board can be set up through this thread or the NAA Bulletin Board ?

Dale

EDGEFLY

Post by EDGEFLY » Wed Mar 20, 2013 02:42

joea wrote:Dale,

Toss the "distance issue" out of the window. Show him this thread and get him to help finance the duplication of parts at a location that is acceptable to everyone.

Joe A

Joe A.,

Toss what you want but when the shipping cost becomes 200% of the item cost, it becomes more important.

Dale

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:35

EDGEFLY wrote:
joea wrote:Dale,

Joe A

Joe A.,

Toss what you want but when the shipping cost becomes 200% of the item cost, it becomes more important.

Dale
Well, shipping is going to have to be factored into any production. Only way around that is to make them in each person's home town and then that just increased the cost. Shipping via UPS or FedEx ground would be far less expensive than the funds saved by finding one good machine shop who would make a handful of these parts IMHO.

Joe A

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:45

EDGEFLY wrote:Joe A.,

I know you have been watching this McDowell thing for a while now. From that experience, do you have any feel for the number of people in this potential market ? Is it possible to retrieve a list of Chief owners from NAA resources ? Another possibility may be this joint type-club organization which would perhaps help identify other a/c owners who might be interested in parts or "starter kits" for their machines. I'm not sure of the ultimate interest Tom and Colie may have in being a source of these items downstream but a registry of potential customers and which pieces they want would certainly be an important starting point, no matter who produces them. It certainly makes a difference if we are talking about 25 individuals interested in various pieces or 250 who want a starter for a particular engine configuration. If this is worthwhile, perhaps a voluntary sign-up board can be set up through this thread or the NAA Bulletin Board ?

Dale
Easiest way to tell is to get a show of hands at the Sun N Fun show that Tom and Colie put on. Do not see 250 being needed but would not be surprised to see 25 or 50 as being out of bounds. Or start a separate thread on this board "how many people would like to have a McDowell Starter or parts" and see what happens!

Joe A

colie85857

Post by colie85857 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:38

Joe and Dale, the starter issue now is there a good # of starters out there not being used . I know of 12-15 personally, there are shortages of mounting brackets for starters and pulley brackets and the info on the differences of A65 vs C85 and tapered shaft vs flange shaft . The mounts can be easily made, the starters not so easily ( cheaply ). There are a good # of flange shaft ratchet wheels, rare are the tapered shaft ratchet wheels. Tom and I are presently trying to get the info out on the differences in the applications. There are only a couple of wear items on the starter its self, one being the pawl worn or missing. I recently had 8 new pawls made. The machine shop I used has the drawings, specs and CNC program . So that is taken care of. Paul A. and another fellow I know has the info and expertise on mounting brackets and pulley brackets . Primarily the owner needs the info to make the decision on what he needs for His own application.