PeachState Veteran's Day Fly-in

Post your Aeronca-related event here
Ed Clark

PeachState Veteran's Day Fly-in

Post by Ed Clark » Sun Oct 25, 2009 16:29

Anyone going to the PeachState Veteran's Day fly-in 11/7?

If so maybe we can arrange to meet and stay at some local motel that Nathan could recommend and figure out some kind of shuttle arrangement?

Thanks
Ed
Ed Clark
'46' Champ 7ac
N84961

marklamon

Re: PeachState Veteran's Day Fly-in

Post by marklamon » Tue Oct 27, 2009 23:13

I want to go but I'm not allowed back. :shock: I wonder if I drive there if they will let me attend. :mrgreen:
Don't tell my Mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I'm a piano player in a whore house.

Ed Clark

Post by Ed Clark » Wed Oct 28, 2009 07:23

Mark,
I might be able to meet you and fly up. I plan on going to Tallahassee to pick up my son and stay overnight before going on to PeachState. Let me know.

Ed

PS maybe you can get a temporary visa or something.
Ed Clark
'46' Champ 7ac
N84961

Nathan K. Hammond

Post by Nathan K. Hammond » Fri Oct 30, 2009 01:28

The Hampton Inn and Holiday Inn are the better hotels in Griffin. We've got enough vehicles that you guys can caravan to and from as needed.

If you are into Bed & Breakfast Inn's; there's one in a little quite town about 15 minutes way.
http://www.verandabandbinn.com/

And if you don't mind sleeping with the dogs and cats; we've got 5 or 6 bedrooms between my parents house and mine. Then you could experience my awesome cooking skills. :shock:

For you that enjoy Tent Camping; There's a shower at the museum and my house for your use.

We got ya covered! 8)

nkh
7AC-5691
Super 85-12F @ DVK

Nathan K. Hammond

Post by Nathan K. Hammond » Fri Oct 30, 2009 01:30

Mark, you're always welcome back! Besides, we all know; once the engine is shut off, it won't start for at least 2 days! :lol:

nkh
7AC-5691
Super 85-12F @ DVK

Ed Clark

Post by Ed Clark » Fri Oct 30, 2009 19:09

Thanks Nate!

Do you know anything about this B&B: Hill Street Bed and Breakfast http://www.innsite.com/inns/A002899.html?

I really enjoyed staying with your parents a couple of years ago but don't want to impose again and thought it would be fun to do the B&B thing. I gather Griffin is nearby and would love to take you up on the loan of some vehicle to shuttle back and forth with. If more show up we can arrange to share one.

Also if you need any help at the event I'm game like the last time.

I will likely show up Friday and leave Sunday.

Thanks
Ed
Ed Clark
'46' Champ 7ac
N84961

Nathan K. Hammond

Post by Nathan K. Hammond » Fri Oct 30, 2009 22:34

I don't know anything personally about the Hill Street B&B, but I'll ask around.

There's no imposition staying at the house (parent's or mine.) In fact; those extra bedrooms are perfect for wayward pilots. Plus, Mom say's she'll cook breakfast and dinner! And that's a GOOD thing!

Griffin is close by, 5-10 minutes. And wheels aren't a problem.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again.

nkh
7AC-5691
Super 85-12F @ DVK

SFC Hiatt

Post by SFC Hiatt » Fri Oct 30, 2009 22:41

Would you guys please quit having so much fun without me!

Nathan K. Hammond

Post by Nathan K. Hammond » Fri Oct 30, 2009 22:53

Bring the Tri-Champ and come on over. :wink:

nkh
7AC-5691
Super 85-12F @ DVK

SFC Hiatt

Post by SFC Hiatt » Fri Oct 30, 2009 23:03

Believe me I would love to but the right thing to do is spend as much time with the family as possible before I head back to the two way rifle range. March seems far away until you add a month of training in New Jersey plus 9 weeks in Washington State plus 6 weeks in Beaumont, Texas..........adds up pretty quick and doesn't leave much time for the family.

You guys have a blast and post lots of pictures!

Ed Clark

Post by Ed Clark » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:38

Nathan,

You make it sound too good buddy! If your sure it's not an imposition I would love to stay with you or your parents again. I am flying in to Tallahassee tomorrow to stay the night and pick up my son (adult- 30 yrs old and a Marine vet.). We will fly up to PeachState on Friday arriving mid afternoon I should think, and would plan on leaving for home on Sunday morning. So if that would work to stay with you folks great. If that is too much say so cause we can stay in town just as easily so long as we can bum a ride. Either way is perfectly fine so don't feel obligated one bit.

Also let us know if you need help working the event.

Drop me an email and let me know. you can do that through here or my regular email edclark50 at embarqmail.com. My cell phone is 239 340 4934.

Thanks
Ed
Ed Clark
'46' Champ 7ac
N84961

Nathan K. Hammond

Post by Nathan K. Hammond » Fri Nov 06, 2009 22:11

Ed made it in today about 3pm. It was a blue bird day, with light winds and the weather should be the same tomorrow.
Hope some of you local guys can make it down/up.

nkh
7AC-5691
Super 85-12F @ DVK

Ed Clark

Post by Ed Clark » Tue Nov 10, 2009 14:22

Well, I'm back home today as of 1000 AM. Had to race the bad weather from Ida, left PeachState at dawn on Sunday. Made good time till the 2nd and 3rd legs, by then the weather was bad high winds and worse gusts. I stopped at Zephyrhills where it was blowing 19 gusting to 23 with a 50 degree crosswind. Got a hangar, checked the weather and decided to stay 2 nights and finishing today (Tuesday) better safe eh? I even met a nice woman flying a 170 who helped me push my plane to the hangar and gave me a ride into town. She had flown into the AOPA convention during a year long circuit of the US after retiring out of AK. Apparently she came out to move her plane into a hangar due to the winds as well. Antique aircraft pilots are nice folks eh?

Even at that today was blowing 11-12 on the ground, more than that aloft. I ran most of the way at 7-800 to make a reasonable ground speed, popping up to 1000 near towns. Landed at Naples into the wind at 12 gusting to 21.

It was a great trip, a real adventure.

Special thanks to Nate, his wife and mother for hosting me once again. Southern hospitality at it's best!

See you all again.

Ed

PS
Here's a link to the pictures I took going up, at the fly-in and coming back.

http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/ee16 ... tate%2009/
Ed Clark
'46' Champ 7ac
N84961