Oshkosh

Post your Aeronca-related event here
Nathan K. Hammond

Oshkosh

Post by Nathan K. Hammond » Sun Jul 12, 2009 00:52

Is the NAA going to be at the type club tent again this year? I need somewhere to hang out. :wink:

nkh
7AC-5691
Super 85-12F @ DVK

kyleb

Post by kyleb » Sun Jul 12, 2009 08:57

People "hang out" at OSH? My MO is more like a 3 day forced march...

Day 1:

- Walk the homebuilt line, talk with numerous folks I know through forums and fly-in's.
- Go see the warbirds. Leave because of the crowds and over zealous CAP Cadets issuing orders.
- Walk the entire North 40 looking for friends.
- Head South along the flightline, ending at the southern tip of 36/18.
- Walk back through the Antiques/Classics looking for an awesome deal on a Champ.
- Off to the commercial displays.
- Lunch.
- Repeat death march.
- Airshow
- Dinner
- Return to campsite. Collapse.
- Sleep.

Day 2

- Wake up to discover that a huge T-storm blew through overnight, flooding out my neighbors, who are now attempting to air dry their sleeping bags.
- Gloat because I own a good (dry) tent.
- Stop gloating when I notice all the water dripping out of the belly of the RV-6.
- Repeat day 1.

Day 3.

See days 1 & 2

[/code]

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sun Jul 12, 2009 09:24

I'll be there. Unsure what day (s) as depends on weather. Even if I drive (200 miles east) I tend not to go on days that are too hot or rain forecast. Last year I flew the Champ in and camped 'under the wing' in my kid sized pup tent. Might do it again this year if I can string several days of good weather together but I'll definetly get a bigger tent if I can squeeze it into the Champ. Not a whole lot of room in the back.
The Aeronca spot in the type tent is a good place to meet other members. Maybe we should have a 'sign in sheet' so we know who is there :idea: . Usually one of my first stops after I get checked in. At the end of the day I like to ride the bus around to Friar Tucks for a good meal and somethiing cold and refreshing :wink: . By the way, I don't think I've ever missed going to Oshkosh. The first ones were pretty small compared to today. I think we parked on the frontage road that passes the main gate in those days.

Mike

SFC Hiatt

Not this year.......

Post by SFC Hiatt » Sun Jul 12, 2009 09:45

Last years 7 / 20 hours days were enough OSHKOSH for me for a little while.

I will be at Blakesburg in September........more my style of fly-in.

Dennis

Post by Dennis » Sun Jul 12, 2009 18:18

God willing and the creek don't rise, I will be there on the 23rd camping in the north 40........with cold beer.

Dennis

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sun Jul 12, 2009 19:14

Not much room for beer in here. Hardly room for me. It was a good experience but like I mentioned need a bigger tent. Anyone have any idea what size will fit in the back of a Champ?? Luckly the weather was great last year with no wind, storms or rain. I think I flew in during the middle of the week. Kind of nice to have a place to go back to early in the afternoon and take a little snooze.

Mike

Nathan K. Hammond

Post by Nathan K. Hammond » Sun Jul 12, 2009 23:14

Mike, I've carried a 4-man dome Eureka is the back no problem. And a big lazy camp chair on top of that.
Jody had a tent at OSH last year that could cover a small towns population. :lol:

Nice pic by the way!

nkh
7AC-5691
Super 85-12F @ DVK

marklamon

Post by marklamon » Tue Jul 14, 2009 23:33

11.5 hours for me (no winds) 2 fuel stops.................... I'll pass

Holcombe

Post by Holcombe » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:11

With the stick removed and a tin pot over the socket I have loads of room.
I have a duffel bag that just fits across the rear seat. It holds a four man tent, an awesome six inch deep air matress, sleeping bag, pillow, and a small folding table. The chair straps over the top. with clothes hat and sunblock I'm still not over gross. Bring comfortable shoes. Have a great time, and be comfortable.
Tail winds are a "Good Thing"

flyingfool

Post by flyingfool » Wed Jul 15, 2009 20:05

I'll be there.

In fact my camper is already set up. I'm in camp Scholler corner of 60th and Fir. We have a large 20x30 silver canopy awning for shade with three picnic tables in our group.

When Aronca's are talked they will receive a cold beverage of their choice!

For differnt directions to get to my camping location. It is just west of the antique aircraft camping west of Knapp street and just north of the john deere center. For those that are familiar, there is a pedestrian gate between the theater in the woods and the ultralight area. Just where the row of trees separate the antique aircraft camping area. If you exit the flight line at that gate walk across Knapp street and take the very first southernmost road next to the snow fence you'll run into my camp.

I'll be there all week.

Sign in sheet at the NAA type club tent is a great idea. Especially if have local OSH address and cell phone numbers etc. so people can meet up if they want.

Jody Wittmeyer

Post by Jody Wittmeyer » Mon Jul 20, 2009 13:16

Nate, Brian and I will be at the type building all week. Stop by, hang out and we'll put you to work. I have to drive all the merchandise this year, so no plane or tent. Just a motel room. One of my favorite parts of OSH is tent camping and mingling after hours with everyone. I'll miss that. Might have to take my tent and homestead by someone elses plane.
Blue Skies and Stay Safe, and preserve 'em

Jody Wittmeyer

Post by Jody Wittmeyer » Mon Jul 20, 2009 13:21

Mike, with the rear stick removed, you can put an easy 200 pounds of essentials on the back floor and seat, 20 lbs. in baggage compartment and small bag on front floor between the pedals and still maintain cg. Weighed my champ, with me in it, prior to leaving for OSH one year. Amazing how much weight a champ can haul. :lol:
Blue Skies and Stay Safe, and preserve 'em

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sat Aug 01, 2009 14:06

Looked at the weather report and wound up driving over Monday night (in the rain). Spent Tuesday roaming around and left on Weds late afternoon. Stopped by the type building and shot the bull with Jody and Brian for awhile. They seemed to be handling the table OK so the best I could do to help was carry some water for the complimentary water jug and 'locate' some cups for them. Weather was nice although windy both days I was there. Didn't see much for other Aeronca Club members although I ran into Bill Pancake in one of the big vendor buildings.

I didn't see as large amount of Aeroncas this year, although there was a beautiful, just finished I think, L16 in the show plane area and a PT 19 that I had looked at this past winter in Texas while it was still in pieces but finishing restoration. I believe the gentleman said he's been working on it for 28 years ( I thought 5 years was a long time :roll: ) Forgot my camera so no pictures.

Thursday it rained again which would have been my day to go home so I guess driving was a good move. All the walking is a little tough on my (now) 70 year old body but I'm looking forward to next year.

Mike Berg