Forum access and spammers

General discussion and guidelines
joea
Site Admin

Forum access and spammers

Post by joea » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:29

Everyone,

I waited as long as I could to do this but we had to lock the National Aeronca Assoc bulletin board down this weekend.

The spammers have been attacking the forum on a daily basis, and we have gotten over 50 spam emails in the last week alone.

Now there is a new robot on the internet that is registering on various forums and making posts if allowed. One bulletin board got hit by over 8000 new members or posts in one day, so this is something that we do not need nor want.

At this time anyone can read and access the bulletin board. Only registered members can post, reply or delete/modify on the board. We really wanted to leave it open so that anyone could post, even as a guest, but its come time to make the forum more secure so that it remains the excellent tool that it is today.

Please contact Brian or myself if you have any comments, concerns or ideas.

Fly safe!

Joe Abrahamson

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Mon Mar 20, 2006 01:54

Went a bit futher today. Found that someone had registered then posted spam so have now locked the membership list.

Anyone can register to become a member but they now have to be approved by either Brian or myself.

Hopefully this will slow down the spammers!

Joe A

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Tue Mar 21, 2006 00:49

One thing that needs to be added. You do not have to be an active member of the NAA to be a member of this forum. We would love to have you in the NAA but as well this forum is for anyone who loves Aeronca's and our registering people as members is only to keep the spammers out.

If you want to post and join in on the discussion and have not registered, please do so now and Brian or myself will approve you so that you can post. There is no cost what so ever.

Fly safe,

Joe A

Jody Wittmeyer

Post by Jody Wittmeyer » Thu Mar 23, 2006 22:21

Joe and Brian, just a couple suggestions I received from a member.
Glad you locked the board. Could you guys set up a confirmation? When someone wants to join, we send them the password to their e-mail address after, they respond to an e-mail we send them to confirm. Then they can go to profiles and change to a p/w of their choice.
I wish we could encourage the members to fill out their profiles! Frustrating trying to contact them when no e-mail or phone number listed.
Again, this info should be hidden from guest, allowing only registered members access.
Just a couple thoughts.
Blue Skies and Stay Safe, and preserve 'em