MedEx form

General discussion and guidelines
MikeB

MedEx form

Post by MikeB » Fri Mar 13, 2015 17:54

I'm thinking about applying for a third class medical. Although I'm 75 I've never had any real health problems and only take a very light blood pressure med. I've never been denied and in fact the last time I met with my regular doctor for my annual physical he said " I wish I had your numbers". OK (here's the rub) what happens when I fill out the MedEX form online? Is it submitted to the FAA? Can I fill out the form and then change my mind, etc? I've been flying light sport for several years basically because I didn't need a physical and couldn't see any reason to pay for something I didn't need as I get a routine (non-faa) physical every year anyway. The only reason I'm thinking about the physical is because my soon to be done Chief is slightly over at 1350# and/or I may want to rent a 150 or Cherokee at some time in the future.
Mike

bob turner

Re: MedEx form

Post by bob turner » Fri Mar 13, 2015 22:17

Well, since it is just you and me using this forum . . .

We have an FAA AME who does the entire exam before you hit the button and submit the form. Te last time through I carefully asked them about all this - they even allow you to begin the process after you have passed. But they assured me that you can safely fill in the form, and if you do not pass, nothing actually goes to OKC.

I am like you - peak of health, approaching 3/4 century, and very cautious about the catch- 22 on the light sport medical stuff. Ask your local buddies - selection of an AME is now critical, and they are not all the same!

EDGEFLY

Post by EDGEFLY » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:02

Bob,
I think your comment on usage of this forum is nearly correct insofar as frequency of usage. I do want to point out that I'm still here lurking but suspect that the Facebook version has perhaps contributed to its' demise.

Dale

hangerash

Post by hangerash » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:22

Mike - Bob - Dale

Many of us are still here despite the increasing popularity of the FB site. That is too open for certain casual conversations.

I have always been fortunate to have 'common sense' AME conduct my exams, except on one occasion when I went to a new AME at a hospital. Commenting that I had high protein in the urine sample, I suggested we retake the specimen. Nothing doing he said and sent the results to OKC, who promptly DENIED the application and requested we retake the sample. Sixty days and a lot of frazzled nerves later the same doctor could not explain why I didn't show protein in my urine as it had on the previous test. Got the second class medical and am very cautious who I get my exams from. I have always been cautioned by 'common sense' doctors to ask before checking and of the condition boxes or listing any medications.

Richard

PS off the record if I wasn't going to rent a 150 or Cherokee and simply fly an 11CC on your drivers license, I would fly it in the Utility Category which meets the Light Sport guidelines and let the FAA tell you you are wrong. Don't ask how I think you would get by doing this.
Richard

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sat Mar 14, 2015 15:23

Richard,
Point made regarding the Utility category except for the fact the Wisconsin registration shows 1350# although the utility category is less and well within LS according to the TC. Not a crisis right now as it's not flying at this point. I have a friend who owns a 7BCM that's been rated at 1335#. He asked a FAA type at Oshkosh about it and the guy said "It's a Champ....fly it!". (Can I have that in writing :wink: ).

Lord, how I wish they'd get the third class medical dropped to a driver's license. It would certainly simplify things overall. I get a regular comprehensive physical every year with lab tests anyway.

Mike

Dennis

Post by Dennis » Sat Mar 14, 2015 17:40

Mike, My AME required me to fill it out on line and submit it to the FAA who assigned a number to it. When I went into the AME office, I gave him the number and he pulled it up. Sounds like its up to the AME.

Dennis

hangerash

Post by hangerash » Sat Mar 14, 2015 18:15

Mike,

Paul Agaliotis is wise beyond his years when he suggest to follow the rules until someone tells you its wrong. Asking an FAA employee for anything in writing that hasn't been written before is to insure a denial.

I posed the same question about the 11-CC being operated in the Utility Category to an ASI in the Columbus FSDO and he came back rhyme and verse from the Light Sport regulations. My reply was it is not Light Sport and it was certified under 1350 at the time it was built and has never been above 1350 in the Utility Category. He agreed that it would be legal to operate it in the Utility Category. Getting that in writing, well I'm still waiting over eight months now for anything official. All they can say if you get stopped is that is not a correct interpretation of the rules, but I'd bet it could take six months to get a decision if you challenged them on it.

Best chance to see any medical reform action is for the Congress to enact legislation and then the FAA will stonewall them to delay it as long as they can. I'd bet there is a lot of silent opposition from the Light Sport manufacturers whose market is going to be severely impacted.
Richard

JDM-AZ

Post by JDM-AZ » Sun Mar 29, 2015 22:41

hangerash wrote:Mike,

I'd bet there is a lot of silent opposition from the Light Sport manufacturers whose market is going to be severely impacted.
I've thought this all along.

LSA is a niche market born out of current legislation.

I've wondered how much lobbying against the 3rd class medical reform the LSA manufacturers have been doing behind the scenes.

I think it's interesting that only the pilot organizations and none of the GA industry has visibly rallied for reform.

Just my 2¢.

JDM-AZ
JDM-AZ
Central Arizona