Message Traffic on NAA Forums

General discussion and guidelines
EDGEFLY

Message Traffic on NAA Forums

Post by EDGEFLY » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:00

There has been recent discussion of a lessening of traffic on this forum. One of the arguments had to do with a moderator not approving some persons' message(s) and another that Facebook traffic on this site was somehow limiting the amount of detail on this forum. Moderator holdup of message can be a real thing and I think the particular situation used as a sample of traffic slowdown has been addressed and resolved. Moderators are a necessity and I think all of us are better off for having someone filling this not very desirable job. A bigger problem is the possibility that the limits on attachments and photos are causing members of this group to form discussion circles on an outside facility such as Faceboook where they can readily exchange data electronically with little constraint. This is not different (I think) than the fAA group which has a much higher traffic rate and a lot of miscellaneous chatter which wouldn't interest some members of this Group. One thing which I have long thought would be a good area of expansion for the NAA is the actual flying aspect of Aeroncas both from a training point of view and enjoyment aspect such as $100 Hamburger trips.

As I understand it, either we have to be willing to fund inclusion of attachment traffic, expand the breadth of discussion areas ,utilize third party attachment sources as we now have to or continue as we are. It is only fair to remind those that wish change of the cost to the membership of our existing
Forum.

Dale

rkittine

Re: Message Traffic on NAA Forums

Post by rkittine » Sun Jan 04, 2015 09:29

As a moderator on a number of other sites I agree with Dale that it is something that in todays age is unfortunately needed. I have also found (and you can see it by looking at home page statistics) that there are lots of people that view (or as we call it elsewhere "Lurk") without posting anything.

What is the procedure for posting a picture on this site. When I hit the "Img" link I get a place to insert a picture I guess, but I have never tried it. Most of the forums I am on just have an attachment section on the bottom of the reply or New Thread page. What is the maximum size the photo can be?

Thanks, Bob
Robert P. Kittine, Jr.WA2YDV
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C.
New York, New York 631-374-9652
rkittine@aol.com

EDGEFLY

Post by EDGEFLY » Sun Jan 04, 2015 14:57

Bob,

I am going to reply to your question as I understand the problem. If anyone with more comprehensive knowledge reads this and can explain it better or correct this, please chime in. Even if there is a facility for attaching a photo or drawing or text article to a message to this forum, it (the website forum) is very limited in capability to accept, identify(for later recall) and store(such as if I post a print of a rudder part drawing and some one wants to se it two weeks later), the capacity of the site to do this is very limited. This comes about because of financial reasons-it costs something to simply keep an internet site "up" - in $. The more capability, the more $. I realize that you and I and some others have occasionally, at least, thrown a check at the NAA but it has never, to my knowledge, been implied that the contribution would be used to make attachments available on this website. the solution has over the years been posted many times along with specific instructions on how to use it. That being to use one of the "free to user" internet photo storage facilities such as Photobucket". I'm not going to go over the in's and outs of the procedure here since it has been posted many times. There are several of this type of Storage programs, Photobucket is simply an example. Like many members, I have found that remaining active here with some really knowledgeable Aeronca people is worth the frustration over no attachment or photo posting limitations. There are other Aeronca or at least Classic forums which either charge fees (EAA/AOA etc.) or membership costs and provide this capability and others Facebook(as recently mentioned by MikeB) which may not charge a direct fee but have advertising or less restricted formatting as their reasons for being able to do so. Like Richard, I have found that some like AOA are so offensive to new prospects that I simply don't worry about them. Even though they have some very knowledgeable contributing members and their cost supports the very capability we are discussing here. Maybe the number of the membership who would like this would not be willing to support the cost. I would prefer the the NAA take this up as a serious proposal and determine what the cost would be. What do you and others think of that ?

Dale

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sun Jan 04, 2015 18:03

I'm with Dale on this one. When I first joined the NAA (many moons ago) it was a great resource as I rebuilt my first Champ and eventually my L16. The nice thing was the ability for me or others to post photos. I do have a Photo Bucket account but it seemed to be more and more loaded with 'pop ups' or whatever they are called. If I'm on for more than a few minutes I get a pop up that wants me to download a new 'media player'. Now I'm not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to computers but I do know enough not to download unknown stuff like that and besides all the graphics slow down my lap top as we're only a step up from dial up service. I think something like .45 mbps and that's the only service available in our location. So having said that I avoid Photo Bucket as much as possible. Face Book is Ok but doesn't really lend itself well to going back to look at old messages, etc. I really like this site and the folks on it and the only downside is the ability to post photos. Having never previously rebuilt a Chief it's been a learning experience for me and being able to post or review photos, etc. would be a great help. If it cost a few dollars up and beyond the NAA association dues I'd certainly be willing to pay. I realize Joe runs this on the side and I can appreciate the amount of work it takes. It does look like the NAA is getting their act together on membership and dues collection so this might be a good time to review and rework as necessary.

I use it but I'm not a great fan of Face Book and I limit my 'friends' although I do use the NAA link.

Mike Berg

hangerash

Post by hangerash » Mon Jan 05, 2015 08:39

FREE PHOTO POSTING

I use Google Drive to post my photos from. It is FREE as free can be in today's economy. No popups to worry about.

If experienced moderators find it difficult to follow how to post a picture the question of their qualifications begs to be asked.

I have several web sites and additional storage space available and have offered on previous occasions to post pictures for those who didn't have the storage space or were challenged by the procedure. OFFER STILL STANDS
Richard

rkittine

Post by rkittine » Mon Jan 05, 2015 08:47

Thanks Guys, Dale I do have a Photo Account and use it with links from the WarwickAirport.com site for showing activities etc. A little time consuming, but I am OK with that. Just wondered if there was an easier way.

I am a moderator on a few sites and know the costs of keeping up a forum, so I appreciate all of that.

Mot of the time if someone is looking for something I have (Seaplane Door 337, Portable Electrical System, Adjustable Front Seat, etc.) I just e-mail them the documents and the pictures.

Happy New Year and all the Best for 2015 - Bob
Robert P. Kittine, Jr.WA2YDV
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C.
New York, New York 631-374-9652
rkittine@aol.com