New measures to help with spammers on the bulletin board

General discussion and guidelines
joea
Site Admin

New measures to help with spammers on the bulletin board

Post by joea » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:52

Sorry to have to do this to everyone but its just getting to be too much hassle with the spammers to continue this way.

In the last couple of days I have instituted several measures to help cut down the spammers that we have all seen on the board recently.

The first thing I have done is put in an "IP ban" that blocks anyone from Russia, Ukraine, China, India, Pakistan and so on from logging onto the board. We have no members in the above countries so this should not be an issue. If someone from India emails me and says "I have a PushPak and live in India and would like to access the board" not a problem and glad to let them in, but we have to slow down the spam registration problem from these countries.

It was getting to the point where I was spending at least an hour a day deleting fake registrations from spammers as well as deleting posts or threads from the few spammers who had gotten past the registration process, so something needed to be done. A couple of weeks I returned home from flying all week long only to find 23 pages at 100 registrations per page of only spammer registrations and its difficult to keep up with this as is.

If they try to register or post they get a "suspected spammer" comment in their window and they cannot access the board. Only problem with that is that in the last two days two people have tried to log onto the board from overseas and could not, so I had to let them know what was going on and they were fine with it. They are now able to access the board again.

This "should not" effect anyone in our group but on the small chance that it does happen to you, please email me and let me know and I will put an exception in for your IP address. I do have to say that so far the "spam registrations" has gone down from about 200-400 a day to around 60 last night, so its making a very good dent in keeping the spammers out.

The next step is a major upgrade of the bulletin board. No time to do it this weekend but hoping to get it done next weekend. Will let everyone know when this is done.

Thanks for your patience and help!

Joe A
NAA

MikeB

Re: New measures to help with spammers on the bulletin board

Post by MikeB » Sat Nov 03, 2012 13:22

Thanks for your efforts, Joe! This is a great board but wouldn't you like to put the 'spammers' privates in a vise and then hit it with a hammer :evil: .

Mike

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Sat Nov 03, 2012 13:27

Squeeze the vice slowly Mike, very slowly... :)

hangerash

Post by hangerash » Sun Nov 04, 2012 01:27

Thanks for getting me signed up Joe. If you need help, ask. Great forum and resource as I start a rebuild.
Richard

jnmeade

Post by jnmeade » Sat Feb 21, 2015 07:33

Am I ever going to be permitted to post without my messages being individually reviewed by the moderator? Sometimes that takes weeks. I have never posted anything that is problematic.
This is a nice forum, but when it comes renewal time I'm wondering if I should bother. A main purpose of being in a forum is so that I can have a timely interchange of ideas. That is not possible here for me.

joea
Site Admin

Post by joea » Mon May 04, 2015 17:33

jnmeade wrote:Am I ever going to be permitted to post without my messages being individually reviewed by the moderator? Sometimes that takes weeks. I have never posted anything that is problematic.
This is a nice forum, but when it comes renewal time I'm wondering if I should bother. A main purpose of being in a forum is so that I can have a timely interchange of ideas. That is not possible here for me.
Sorry about that and we thought that we had this issue fixed and now see that its back.

Your post being approved has nothing to do with renewing, its something that happened when we upgraded the bulletin board to a newer version to combat spammers.

Its now been approved and hope this issue is taken care of, sorry! Please, if someone posts something and its not immediately on the board, email me right away and let me know so I can take care of it.

Joe A